Question: Burs for a GRS Ultra 850 High-Speed Rotary Handpiece?

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Hi folks,

I've just picked up a 'GRS Ultra 850 High-Speed Rotary Handpiece' and I noticed it only accepts 1/16" (1.6mm) shank burs.

Does anyone know where to buy these please?

I had a look on Suttons (UK) and Rio Grande, but couldn't find anything other than 2.3mm shanks.

I'm looking for 0.3 / 0.4 / 0.5 sizes in carbide rounds preferably. (not diamond)

Any help gratefully received, as always. :)

Jo

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I get my burrs from my dentist....he saves them for me rather than throws them away after he uses them on a patient. Metal doesn't scream and they are still pretty sharp. Being a nice guy he even sterilizes first

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim Wells sells a fixture for making your own cutters, it uses 1/6 carbide rod . Even has the MSC item # engraved on it. Look on the Lindsay site under sharpening tools . MSC is a tool and metals
catalog in the States

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
For background removal I use .4mm and .5mm carbide ball burs that GRS sells. They are the dental variety with FG (friction grip) shank. You should be able to get them from a local dental supply.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you guys for all your suggestions.

Diatechusa, who Barry rcommended, seem to be in the lead at the moment. As mentioned, they're pretty good value by the looks of it.
Just need to confirm the shank diameter, as it doesn't state that on the website. I'm sure it's fairly obvious that the shank is the correct size, but I'd like to be 100% sure before ordering, so have sent them a quick email.

I love the idea of recycling dental burs, but I don't think our dentists are as easy going and helpful over here. But I'll certainly ask when I'm there in a couple of week. I'll be interested in her reaction! ;)

As for GRS, Sam, as I've entioned in a previous post, they won't sell direct to me any longer. I've tried a couple of times, when Suttons don't even have an item listed on their website. So I contact GRS who just refer me back to Suttons.
Also, I couldn't find anything on GRS' site other than a pack 'Diamond & Stone Bur Set', when seaching bur.

Many thanks again,

Jo

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Jo: I know GRS has the burs but I don't know the part number. They are common dental burs so they should be relatively easy to obtain. As far as I know, all dental burs have the same 1/16" (1.6mm) shank size.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for that Sam.
When I search dental burs 95% of the results end up with diamond, which I think I'm right in saying that's NOT what I want?
And in the UK, there's no such thing as 'local dental supplier' ;)
I'm not saying the UK is antiquated, but we're still marvelling at running hot & cold water as well as electric string! ;)

Jo

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for that Sam.
When I search dental burs 95% of the results end up with diamond, which I think I'm right in saying that's NOT what I want?
And in the UK, there's no such thing as 'local dental supplier' ;)
I'm not saying the UK is antiquated, but we're still marvelling at running hot & cold water as well as electric string! ;)

Jo

A lot goldsmiths and diamonsetters here in europe buy their diamond polishing discs for sharpening their gravers (the same discs Alexandre uses) at Roos Dental the cheapest and best dental supplier. I looked for FG carbide burs they have them prices are for 5 ore 6 burs:http://www.roos-dental.de/shop/de/rotierende-instrumente/fg-schaft/fg-hartmetallfraser-bohrer.html

About the diamond disks Alexandre uses; andhttp://www.roos-dental.de/shop/de/ceragloss-polierer-rad-gelb-10981.html

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No offense Jo but I sort of find the line "there is no such thing as a local dental supplier" rather humorous. Kind of rekindles the myth of Brits and bad dental care...
:)

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hello, Jo,

Today's dentist often do a once only use of their Friction Grip 1/16 inch dia burs, as it appears to cost more to autoclave them for additional use. Many of us just have a word with our friendly dentist, who often puts the still sharp burs in a box for us, do an autoclave, and hand over a box of then, both carbide and diamond.

When you get equipped, remember these high speed burs cut best with very light strokes, almost like painting with a small brush, and do not following the rules, but move the handpiece in the reverse of normal, that is, away from the incoming direction of the teeth for smooth cutting.

I do buy my 1/4 mm radius 1/2mm dia ball ended burs new, but buy only small amounts till you test the brand, some are better than others. If a silver piece is not too small, you can do an effective background by gently plunging a small ball ended bur into the negative space to create a field of small reflecting craters which reflect the light in a different way from your main elements, giving a nice contrast.

best

Rod

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
I notice some of the links in this thread point to listings of single cut burs. Do you prefer single or double cut? These have some specialized use on stone (using 3mm or 1/8), but only the double cut are any good, single cut tear are chip out the stone.

Single cut is a one direction cut, double cut looks more like a pineapple, with the cuts spiraling in both directions. Some double cuts are beautifully done, others have the first cut strong and clean, and the second shallow and rough. There is a wide quality range on these.

mrthe

Hi Jo, if you need it for background removal only ,Dave London give you a good advice,using the Tim Well's tip you can sharp a old carbide burr in this way:
puntam.jpg

("cara a 45 translation" is 45 degree face)
and work very very well expecially in very tiny areas where maybe a 0,30-0,40 or 0,50 ball burr is too big, the 45 degree face have to be very very tiny ,with this point with practice and using the microscope is possible make undercuts for inlay too .

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some VERY good prices at Midwest and Diatech. I find for backround removal the 1/4 round work well.

I saw it mentioned that some brands last better than others. Anyone have a preference as to what the longer lasting brands may be?

One deal for "Midwest" carbide burs was for under a dollar apiece, which sounds great.

I'm not sure what the ones GRS sells are made from, but I manage to wear them out rapidly?

Latest posts

Sponsors