Burglary,

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Our Dear Friend Ron Smith, (the Old Master)
had 4 Pistols stolen while he and Liz were away on a little hunting, camping trip.

He would have lost some rifles except a neighbor saw the burglar and hollered at him, so he droped the Blanket, carrying the long guns and ran.

They have a suspect, but he has not been caught.

Let's all hope and pray he gets them back.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Four pistols were stolen from me in 1997. One was recovered in 2000. I don't think I'll ever see the other three again. I bought a gun safe after the theft as most people do. It's better to buy one ahead of time and not lose guns and other valuables to thieves. Trust me... YOU DO NEED A SAFE unless you want to lock the barn after the horse is gone as I did.

And, get a good one while you are at it. I went with a Browning for various reasons of protection and security.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,

Ron's misfortune was a burglary not a robbery so he wasn't home to defend himself and his property when the crime occured. In the situation that Charlie described it would not have been legal for Ron's neighbor to start shooting at the thieves from the neighbor's property. In the USA, a person's life must be in danger (not just their property) to use deadly force.

Lots of people in Texas have a permit to carry a gun but there are still far more people who don't carry one. In Texas, no permit is required to own a gun or have one in the home, just to carry one concealed on the person in public. I should add that in the USA most laws relating to guns are controlled by the state and not the federal government. Most states honor the permit of other states but some do not. In Illinois there is no way for a citizen to get a carry permit but in Alaska and Vermont no permit is required to carry. Unfortunately, if an American travels a lot he or she needs a law book to be sure of the gun laws. Probably seems unnecessarily complicated to a European where most laws come from the central government level. It is like when I was explaining to you about the multitude of police badges and insignia in the US. Our government is a republic where the states have many rights and much authority.

Cheers,
Roger

DakotaDocMartin

In the USA, a person's life must be in danger (not just their property) to use deadly force.

There are some unique laws in Texas that actually do allow a person to shoot someone to prevent them from leaving your property with the stolen items.

In Illinois there is no way for a citizen to get a carry permit but in Alaska and Vermont no permit is required to carry.

Currently, Alaska, Arizona, Vermont and Wyoming require no CWP. States that have been or are considering bills in current legislative sessions include Colorado, Iowa, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota and Virgina, according to the NRA.

DakotaDocMartin

So all of you do not carry your guns with you all the time?

I am an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor and was a CWP Test Administrator for many years for both North Dakota and Utah (before the two spinal surgeries). My Smith & Wesson 340PD .357 Magnum with a green HiViz front sight goes with me everywhere I go. :)

BTW, it's made of Scandium, Aluminum, and Titanium! :)

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
But, to get back to the thread, I hope and pray that Ron gets his property back very soon and in the same shape it was in when it was taken. Also that the thief gets life in prison! (I know, the law probably doesn't allow that!)

JJ Roberts

This is not the first time Ron had a burglary at his home,he told me that he lost guns his father left him.If I where going on trip and did'nt have a safe I would give over my guns to my son for safe keeping.Hope they find the thieves and put them away for a long time and get the guns back. J.J.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had quite a few guns stolen a couple of years ago... One good thing came out of it, I used the insurance money to purchase my engraving setup and two safes (one for my guns and one for customers).

I really hope he gets his guns back. I am still waiting for word on mine.

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
It makes me angry when such news reaches me. Such people have no idea what harmthey cause. I hope Ron gets them back undamaged.
Maybe, if the pistols are engraved by Ron they might be recognised and findtheir way back home.

sinan

Arnaud,

Ron's misfortune was a burglary not a robbery so he wasn't home to defend himself and his property when the crime occured. In the situation that Charlie described it would not have been legal for Ron's neighbor to start shooting at the thieves from the neighbor's property. In the USA, a person's life must be in danger (not just their property) to use deadly force.

Lots of people in Texas have a permit to carry a gun but there are still far more people who don't carry one. In Texas, no permit is required to own a gun or have one in the home, just to carry one concealed on the person in public. I should add that in the USA most laws relating to guns are controlled by the state and not the federal government. Most states honor the permit of other states but some do not. In Illinois there is no way for a citizen to get a carry permit but in Alaska and Vermont no permit is required to carry. Unfortunately, if an American travels a lot he or she needs a law book to be sure of the gun laws. Probably seems unnecessarily complicated to a European where most laws come from the central government level. It is like when I was explaining to you about the multitude of police badges and insignia in the US. Our government is a republic where the states have many rights and much authority.

Cheers,
Roger

I liked the law in Alaska and Vermont. We don't have such a change but many people in Istanbul carry guns illegally. If you go to Anatolia most of the people has armed. Especially people in the east black sea cost of Turkey make their guns by themselves at their homes. If you are not expert can't recognize these guns from originals.

One of my shotgun had stolen and I had caught the burglar after a week before the police and got my gun back. Losing the licence guns are very dangerous if you can't recognize that you lost it and not report the police.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to this thread I called the Sheriffs department again. The forgot they recovered a pistol a year ago. Now they are attempting to find it. I asked them if the investigated the person I said stole them. They said they didn't have enough proof to investigate the person (100 miles away). They recovered the pistol from Houston (the opposite direction). The person that had it purchased it from a person in Devilla, Tx. This is the same town as the person I told them stole the firearms. Devilla has less than 200 people. I would think that's enough to investigate.

I hope Ron gets better service.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Like Doc said...We in Arizona do not need a CCW to carry...bad guys are less apt to rob someone here. Theft I have covered by a good safe, and a good dog (not in that order). If they make a real mistake and try to conduct a withdraw from the Bank O'Don then they will be dispatched to a realm far far away :)

I cannot abide a man or women who would steal from another. You need a hand? Ask.

Donny

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is a rotten thing to steal from the elderly.
And disturbing to imagine a home could be so vulnerable. I hope Ron smith and his wife are surrounded by friends, and doing well.

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Those guns were engraved.
The scum that took them would probabily sell them for 50 to 100 dollars.
The wisdom of his sell would equal quality of his character.

Latest posts

Sponsors