Question: Bulino engraving hair

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Anyone know of a resource (video book etc) where I can learn to better engrave fine hair? I’m working on this 1.4 inch sterling silver watch dial with my wife and I as well as our sons on it. First time doing faces, and I’m a bit stumped on the hair for my older son then later on for my wife. Still far from done, but I’m slowly adding detail.

I have done a few birds and a tiger before but no long hairs.

Also any tips on erasing a mistake? I have read burnishing can be used. Specifically for the area on the bottom right corner between the mouth and chin of my youngest son. It’s a bit too dark overall. I’m thinking of sanding that area with small sanding sticks then redoing. Would the be right way to go about it?

Also incase anyone is wondering I will go back when done and add 3,6,9, and 12 to the clock face to make it easier to read the time. Left those areas with less critical portions of the image for this reason.

Thanks for the advice! IMG_3471.jpeg IMG_3473.jpeg

monk

Staff member
it is good to see your care in doing such a project. that will be a family treasure for all time. i'd/we'd love to see this when finished. btw: the little ones are just adorable.

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
it is good to see your care in doing such a project. that will be a family treasure for all time. i'd/we'd love to see this when finished. btw: the little ones are just adorable.
Thank you! I was having writers block for a bit making designs and thought to myself what wouldn’t I mind staring at for hours on end? Then came up with this idea.
I’ll post a photo for sure when I’m done!

Sponsors