Bulino, dots/stipling

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all! :) I’m not looking for critique of this work, as it was all Friday funday and just experimenting.. nothing serious, but what I’m asking is could stippling be bulino?

As far as I understand, bulino can be small light lines in different directions to make shadows, or dots. In this case I was letting my Airgraver just idle and used it to make dots.. as in very soft stippling.

Would it be “more” bulino if I did all by a non idle graver?

Just curious what is correct bulino, or if this is just stippling.. :)

858489DF-D410-4CDE-A477-B6A918D069F8.jpeg
Video

Daniel29

Hi Marius, just my opinion but why should it not be considered as „bolino“?

My only concern is that stippling leaves a higher edge around your dots in comparison to making dots with a graver. When blackening your work this might lead to a different effect because your work surface is not plane anymore instead it has a fine ripple texture.
I hope you understand what i mean

At the end it is the finished product that counts and not the term it is called

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for your reply @Daniel29 Yes good point about making the stippling points more raised even though I’m doing it with a very soft hand..

I was mostly curious to know if it could be considered as bulino, though the outcome and final result are more important :)

I’m just experimenting and I’d also like to try more “traditional” bulino way of doing things, even with lines.. but this technique is very new to me, but love to learn.

Thank you again!

Latest posts

Sponsors