Question: Build your own turntable

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just because it costs so much to freight anything to Australia.

Does anyone know of any how to's on building turntables... views of insides of turntables(as long as it's allowed to do so) ... any tips or ideas at all.

Is steel the definite material to use over aluminium?

Anything anyone can tell me will help I'm sure

Thanks everyone

Danae.

Last edited:

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
P6180002.jpg P6180006.jpg P6180003.jpg P6180005.jpg P6180004.jpg P6180001.jpg Danae,
Here is my turntable, I wanted one separate from my bench .I'm constantly going into thrift stores and looking at just what I can use. I look at items to repurpose into something useful to me. My turntable is made from an old camera tripod I got for $15 and a 9'' lazy susan table bearing I bought off Ebay. I used one of my sons barbell weights for the top ( These are very handy to use all around my engraving bench . they're great for adding some mass to steady my equipment.) I just took the tilting thing off the tripod and cut some 9'' disks from plywood and screwed the bearing to one side. It's great but I can't get it low enough to use my ball vise. The other drawback is those three legs kind of make my area a little cramped. I'm looking now at the huge amount of workout equipment in these stores to see if I can make an adjustable , single post stand next. If you use a lazy susan bearing ,swab a big amount of Vaseline in the bearing with a qtip and that will really smooth out the rotation.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Danae,
I am attaching a link to a YouTube video of one of Mike Dubbers instructional videos. At about 5 minutes into this video Mike shows how he has build his own turntable for engraving. I, personally, use Steve Lindsay's turntable and I am very happy with it, but, I must admit, am a little jealous of Mike's set up.
Here is the link to the YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=11&v=ZacPS3V1AWs

enjoy,
Les

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Look for a wood lathe tailstock chuck adapter like this one http://www.teknatool.com/products/lathe_accessories/Centres/nlc.htm. That and the live center will you a smooth rotation. Next add a wood lathe face plate with the proper threading. On top of that you can add anything you want, including taking off the face plate and adding a lathe chuck.

I like the Speedy6's tripod, but I would weld together something heavier than a photo tripod. On the top the tripod I would attach a 2MT socket. That way the live center could be removed and other "stuff" with 2MT could also be used in the stand.

Here in the States a live center with chuck adapter can be had for around $35 to $40, not sure on what the Teknatool set up will cost you. But before buying I would go to the Australian woodworking forum and ask them where the cheapest place is. http://www.woodworkforums.com/ They have a section for wood lathes, and they will have the answers for you.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I also use one similar to that of "speeedy6", but I found a little too much play in the bearings - to be it using under the scope.

Soooooo.... I set it up with sandbags to use for awkward pieces or those that cannot be firmly held without damage. Works better for me in that application.

Brian

Last edited:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm hoping to build something as good as a GRS or a Lindsay... didn't know you could get the Shimpo ones in Australia though.. thanks for that. I am using my makeshift fan shaft bearing turntable... It's getting wobblier... and since I got a low profile vise it's more noticeable... it's not made for the stress... with a microblock you can use just about anything... but I want to really make things very sturdy and smooth... something I can use for the rest of my life... that's why I'm asking. My mate's in engineering so all the good info I can get is much appreciated.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Danae, I'm using the same set-up as mike Dubber and Fegarex ( and a lot of other engravers by the way). I lapped my post in with valve grinding compound. This makes turning as smooth as butter. It wasn't until I had long pieces centered under the scope that I had to get a thrust bearing due to the weight on the edge of the turn table made it not as smooth. Hope this helps.;)

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep, the drill press base with a simple bearing added is probably the most economical and practical - especially if you already HAVE the drill press base.

The up/down & forward or back adaptability of the drill press base is unbeatable. I use one daily, and there is a duplicate up in the apprentices shop.

Brian

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
View attachment 34394 View attachment 34393 View attachment 34395 View attachment 34396 View attachment 34397 View attachment 34398 Danae,
Here is my turntable, I wanted one separate from my bench .I'm constantly going into thrift stores and looking at just what I can use. I look at items to repurpose into something useful to me. My turntable is made from an old camera tripod I got for $15 and a 9'' lazy susan table bearing I bought off Ebay. I used one of my sons barbell weights for the top ( These are very handy to use all around my engraving bench . they're great for adding some mass to steady my equipment.) I just took the tilting thing off the tripod and cut some 9'' disks from plywood and screwed the bearing to one side. It's great but I can't get it low enough to use my ball vise. The other drawback is those three legs kind of make my area a little cramped. I'm looking now at the huge amount of workout equipment in these stores to see if I can make an adjustable , single post stand next. If you use a lazy susan bearing ,swab a big amount of Vaseline in the bearing with a qtip and that will really smooth out the rotation.

this is awaiting repurpose. it's a tripod that once held 2, high intensity shop lights. given to me by a pal. the lights soon burned out. the outer, yellow tube is easy to cut shorter if needed. the black, inside tube also very easily cut. it adjusts with one locking knob. not sure what i'll do with this, but it will support far more weight than it was designed for

Attachments

• light pod.jpg
    light pod.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 190

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Has anyone had personal experience to compare a shipping to a big brand one? Thanks everyone for replying to me.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dani
Steve Lindsay lists the shimpo potters.banding turn table on his site as a more economical choice. I have used one and they are real smooth. I have the Lindsay one and use it every day.
It is really comparing apples to oranges

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yup, they are both fruit. Only one is already IN Australia - the other has to be imported with the corresponding shipping costs and duty/taxes.

From my experience with others asking about shipping over there, you'll be looking at around $250+ (in our dollars)

I look around me now, and I realize that there is no possible way I could ever afford to replace what is here - at new costs and current shipping & sales tax rates.

I would imagine that that can be a HUGE barrier to those living across one of the ponds.

Or - it could encourage one to find ways to get the same job done with locally available materials/substitutes. "Necessity being the mother of invention"

Brian

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

It’s my experience that unless you have a home workshop and are good at making mechanical things with a lathe/mill etc………….or you have a friend that has these things and is willing to make them for free, or close to it, then you are better off just biting the bullet and buying the proper thing from the start. It also works out cheaper in the long run,

This particularly applies if you are a serious home hobbyist or professional selling your skills. Buying good equipment is all part of running a business. It’s called investing in yourself…..How many of us have made or brought cheap gear only to later go out and buy something purpose made for the job then to discover that we wish we had brought the proper deal in the first place. You get used to crappy gear after a while as you start compensating for it and It’s only after you have tried something decent that you realise just how crappy some of the home made stuff really is……………all to save a few dollars which is taking your eyes off the big picture.

Buy the time you dick around trying to find substitutes, put up with gear that doesn’t quite do the job and jerry built home contraptions………it’s easier to simply buy something specifically made for the task. Yes, it costs money. Good equipment always does!!!!

But of course we also have to make our own equipment sometimes simply because nothing else exists to do what we want to do. That is the Mother of invention. Not trying to reinvent the wheel every five minutes to save a dollar. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I understand what everyone is saying... and I have already recommended my students should get a shimpo just because it will suit their setup and gear well and isn't prohibitively expensive. Great to hear they are in Australia already.

To explain myself better. I have already done a trade off with my mate my work hours for his when he gets to it. Just trying to plan it out.

He is an engineer... has all the tools. I already own his work... he knows his stuff. Just need to finish plans for a turntable that will work.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am not trying to to reinvent the wheel... just asking what makes one wheel work better than another so that my engineer mate can build me a good one. I am paying him in engraving and I want this to be well designed and last me a life time... thanks Andrew. I agree with everything you say. Brian you hit the nail on the head... freight for a grs to Australia would about what Brian said. I am not saying it wouldnt be worth it. It's good gear.