Buck knife using English scroll

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is a knife I did recently. I've done a couple of Buck knives before but this was the first nickle/silver one. The nickle/silver bolsters are SOFT.

What do you think?

Please excuse the fingerprints on the black jade. I was concentrating on showing the engraving and eliminating the glare. The bolsters are mirror polished.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice. I`m patiently waiting for Markus`s book on this style to hit the shelves... not too long now apparently.?.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work Peter, you're gradually getting the concept together. There are a couple of points that need working on but overall the impression is good. The main critisism is the outside work isn't quite right. Think of it as small leaves and tendrils growing from the scroll just as another scroll would. It's main purpose is to even up and soften the line of the scrolls. Yours is a bit gappy and doesn't really serve the purpose. Better would have been to totally fill the area right up to the line on such a small piece. Or taken it further away from the border so you had a definite gap of negative space. Your scrolls aren't at all bad though, just cut your inside work with a bit more power and confidence. Well done.

Gemsetterchris, I've finally finished writing the book, YAAAAHHHHAAYYY!!! Now, I'm just proof reading it and getting designs for the kit together. I'm meeting with the GRS folks in a couple of weeks to discuss publication and it should be available very soon I hope.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
...I've finally finished writing the book, YAAAAHHHHAAYYY!!! Now, I'm just proof reading it and getting designs for the kit together. I'm meeting with the GRS folks in a couple of weeks to discuss publication and it should be available very soon I hope.

!!!Hallelujah!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Peter,

I think Marcus summed it up perfectly nevertheless you've done an exceptionally nice buck knife there. Where do you get a Buck 110 with nickel bolsters? Did you install the scales yourself?

Thanks for posting the pictures,

Roger

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know much about English scrolls but sure this looks good to me but who am I to disagree with Marcus, I can only learn from his repley.

arnaud

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the comments/criticism. I can NOT disagree with Marcus either. Well a bit perhaps. I cut the design on a practice plate, and without the "outside" work, the open space didn't look right. The outside work did give it a more balanced look. His critique is very accurate however. I do struggle with the specifics he stated. I've been studying his and others work to improve mine:big grin:

Roger - Buck offers various configurations of their knives. That one is a customers knife and he installed the jade scales. I think he orders them directly from Buck and perhaps they offer choice of bolster material. They do in the "Custom shop" part of their business.

Pictures don't really do justice to how nice that one is. That black jade is as good as it gets. This is his picture:

Latest posts

Sponsors