Bright cutting at the show.

jack

I see a very steep angle. Looks good to me. Sometimes I do feel we all get caught up in angles to much. I engrave western style and love it. You take care Jack

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Robert, I solder the berry wire on to the base material first. I then cut out the base up to and around the berry border. I then sand, file and polish the sides with a slight under cut while making sure to touch the berry beads as little as possible. This gives a better appearance and adds a clearly defined edge to the berry bead wire on the buckle once it is domed. Even though the picture is a little blurred in the right hand portion, you can see this undercut.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

R Vaughn

Greg, Thanks for posting the picture. That is the way I have been doing it. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.
Thanks, Robert

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Man...I love western engraving and these buckles especially. This is a superb piece in my opinion. Great job.

Last edited:

Bill Tokyo

Just like a Japanese Graver??

Hi Greg,

I'm studying Japanese style engraving here in Tokyo. The photo of your #46 flat mascot bright
cutting graver just knocked me right over, because it looks just like the very first graver we learn how
to make in Japanese engraving called a katagiri tagane, which translates as a one sided cutting graver.
The graver is driven by a hammer and it's a nifty trick to be able to get a smooth line.

We engrave with the long side down and the short side up. We use the edge of the graver where
the two faces meet (not like a chisel that uses the face) as the cutting edge.

All Japanese engraving is pretty much bright cut. I'm going to bring a photo of your graver and
belt buckle to show Mr. Hijikata, my teacher. I think he'll be as struck as I am by the resemblence.

Bill

jack

Bill: Not sure I understand about the longside down and short side up bit ? Jack

Bill Tokyo

Hi Jack,

In Japanese engraving the heel is on top, not the bottom. So if you flipped the photo over, you would
have the engraver exactly as we hold it.

Bill

jack

Thanks Bill: I will work on that. Again thanks for showing your work and you take care, Jack

Latest posts

Sponsors