Bright cut and liners

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Slight differences... I back my paper with a chunk of glass.

And I do use leather w/ a super fine abrasive to "wipe" what looks like plating from the tip of the tool when engraving certain metals - notably copper and aluminum. You can see the buildup as you go under the scope - and rubbing like metals together does not leave a very bright cut.

IF that's what you are after.

Mostly flats and "V" gravers, but that same buildup or plating sometimes happens with liners...

I also use a lubricant. And it is NOT oil of wintergreen! (Go look at the MSDS - if you still use that stuff)

B.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Rio Grande also has some fine polishing papers,Ron Nott turn me on to these.They work real well.:thumbsup: J.J.

monk

Staff member
i have only sharpened them. when you consider what effect they're designed for, and the mechanics of how they cut, there's little reason for the fine polish. if any thing, i'd think the cutting effect would diminish by doing this. i assume you're talking about the bottom and not the face. polishing the face is more for show, than effect. the curl meets the face after the cut is already done.

monk

Staff member
Yes I was talking about the bottom so that the shade lines would be bright.

the only thing i ever did-- i would soak them a bit in kerosene. then i'd use a dremyl with a fine brass bristle brush to clean the gunk rrom the grooves.

Latest posts

Sponsors