Brass scraper

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I was once told by Sam Welch that he made a scraper out of the brass taken from a light switch. He used this scraper to remove excess gold from his inlays. I think he was able to use this on blued steel without marking up the blueing. How are other forum members working with removing excess gold from blued projects.

Bob Bullard

Elite Cafe Member
scraper

the mouth of fired cartridge case should work (make sore it is a brass case).
That is what I use to remove a rust spot from a blued gun. I spray the spot with W D 40 and gentlly scrape the spot with the mouth of a fired case . The rust is above the surface of the blue and the case just seems to slide or glibe over the blue
Bob

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A flat graver made of hammered down nickel silver rod stock. The end when flattened out to ready it for the hone also work hardens it. You can thank Jim Small for that little trick.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've never inlaid gold into blue steel, so I can't comment on that. It sounds very tricky, and one screw-up and you'll be rebluing the piece.

I have made a flat graver from brass stock to trim away excess gold after inlaying. It can trim without damaging the steel, but I eventually went back to trimming with a regular flat graver. I would say that if using brass (or nickel silver as Tim describes) helps you do a better job, then by all means use it.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Tim,
I think you hit on the reason the brass from a light switch was used. The alloy made it a little harder and it could be sharpened. Your idea is super clever. I have many take off blued barrels so I can try out your idea. Thanks

Sam,
I'm thinking about gold inlays in the printing (or script) on blued barrels when rechambering is done and you have to label the new caliber.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glenn, I hope one of them works for you, I'm sure it will. I have yet to inlay anything myself. I am fortunate in that I get to visit with Jim usually once a month or so and I've watched him do inlay and peel the excess right off with one of those little nickel steel gravers.

They are sharpened like any flat and do just fine for gold trimming. I assume the reason he uses it instead of brass is because the bulk of his engraving is done on stainless bolsters and that N/S graver won't touch it. Another reason may be that he has that stock laying around to make rivets from so why not make a graver out of it? Jim is a very clever, resourceful man with a lot of hard earned tricks up his sleeves to make life easier.

I have learned a heap of stuff from him as well as this priceless forum. Which reminds me, I need to get off here and go out and cut something for the FEGA show for critique. Thanks all!

Latest posts

Sponsors