Question: Bracelet size

delder

Elite Cafe Member
Hi guys.... I've been making bracelets for a while now . Recently I have had some complaints about them being too small. Unless requested , I make them 6" long. Is there a length that is more universally acceptable?

thanks .... Doug Elder

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
when asked to do one i measure the individual. then-- do you want snug or a bit free to move around. i just take a piece of paper, wrap the wrist mark, and cut on the marks. there's another trick-- get one of the flexible, plastic coated lead gadjets such as most art stores have. these can be cut to a variety of lengths & can be used as a dizing guage. totally reuseable.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Make mine 6" long. Some I leave 1/4" blank on each end. With that it can be cut to 5 1/2 or 5 3/4". Smaller than that needs be a custom, at this point. I do have a sheet of 5 1/2" sterling that I intend to cut smaller bracelets from. If it needs to be larger than 6", you are kind of between a rock and a hard place, at least when buying flat sheet. It is sold in a minimum of 6" by whatever. To get 7" or 8" you have to buy a pretty large piece. What you can do is buy a low, low dome, 1" wide strip of sterling, in almost any length (other widths available too). My primary source is Rio Grande. Other sources may have other rules etc., but Rio is a consistent, high quality Sterling, with quick shipping at affordable pricing.
http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Sterling-Silver-Low-Dome-Wire-5-Dead-Soft/100705?Pos=15

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
6.5 is what I do. Usually. Specially when I done. Which I usually do. Done closes the loop in a bit.

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
I guess Im asking a question to get to an answer. If 6 is really too short then what length is needed for your customers? I have needed much shorter but never longer than 6 in my short engraving venture.
My solution to your problem buy a thicker than normal and then roll it down to length you need. I guess It might need to be wider than you need as well. Not a silver smith and don't know if what I say will work but it looks good on paper from here.

Latest posts

Sponsors