Bracelet, gilded silver

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a bracelet practice, where I am trying some patterns inspired by an old ivory set of proportional dividers from the year 1630. It is much changed by me, however the old object was what got me thinking.

I will apply something similar to a blackwood flute that is half finished. It will have five silver and gold rings about 9mm wide. I have already determined that I can cut this style at that scale, but thought I would try a bracelet first, as it is double the width. Of course ring designs have to join up seamlessly and bracelets do not, so the rings will not have the C scroll you see on each end of the bracelet.

Still plenty of areas to improve in my cutting, and I have learned that 'cleanliness is next to godliness', when it comes to plating, you must not contaminate your solutions.

Once more, it is very important to have your silver plate very, very flat before starting to cut. If this is done well, and it does not take long, then the gilding may be sanded off the top surface in a few minutes.

I welcome any and all critiques, especially in the design layouts, it is a gift to have another set of eyes looking things over. Photos are not good, I promise to do better next time.

Rod

Attachments

• IMG_4553.jpg
    IMG_4553.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 214
  • Bracelet gilded 7 28 1.jpg
    Bracelet gilded 7 28 1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_4554.jpg
    IMG_4554.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_4555.jpg
    IMG_4555.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_4563.jpg
    IMG_4563.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How true, Dave,

My wife is a beauty, with elegant wrists, but could not model, as she was out in the chicken run, knee deep in manure, so I just hung the bracelet round the neck of a ceramic chicken!

Best!

Rod

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Howdy, Peter,

You are doing well yourself, with your flare cut bracelets!

What's you been up to since summer came in? Wish I was up there in the North in BC, where it is warm. Here on the California coast it is in the 50's F and foggy. Its been a while since I ran the Chilko/Chilcotin/Fraser, and Hell's Gate. I was having bad dreams the other night about that period of my life, how did I ever survive, must have been pure luck. Those rivers are about as wild as I have ever been on.

best

Rod

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Rod,

Just keeping busy up here and trying to stay cool, summer came with a bang and it has been hot all of July, just getting a bit of rain the last few days and some cooler wetter 90's F. Those rivers do have there charm, been down trough Lava Canyon a few times. The upper part of Chilko is grand in a drift boat or canoe.

Peter

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Forge ahead, Rod! Fantastic and beautiful and very expensive looking! You could teach a class in this technique!

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
beautiful. got me wanting to practice a few pieces like this too.... just need finist the other 500 things on to do list

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is fantastic! I really dig your style. You've really taken the flare cutting idea to a whole new level!!!