Help, please: Bracelet blanks

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey all,

Rachel and I are going to get a 10x10 craft both at our local Twin City Days in Sept. She of course will have her lathe turnings and pens and I am seriously considering setting up to cut quick lettering, monogram and flare cut jobs on peoples items.

I am thinking about getting some flat bracelet blanks and pre-engraving some leaving a window for monograms/names.

I have seen some of you do this on here and I need a source for the flat blanks. I am thinking copper and bronze mostly with maybe a few sterling for higher end pieces. I think blanks 6" long and some 3/4" wide and some 1" wide would be about right. Where can I buy precut blanks in those sizes? I do not really want to deal with buying 6x12" sheets and cutting them out myself. The whole idea is to reduce the amount of work I have to put into them as much as possible.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I order sterling strips cut to size from Rio Grande. I barely radius the corners.

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm using 16 guage at 3/4 and 1 inch wide by 5.5 and 6 inches long.

Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use 18 gauge, but that's because I have a lot of this size around the shop. I make them at a variety of length between 5.25" and 6". I find the 5.25-5.5 fit most ladies.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I get bracelet strips from Rio Grande. I would say 18ga is fine for most things unless you get into relief work, and then consider 16ga.

Bert's right...6" seems a bit too long for smaller wrists, and 5.25 - 5.5 will be a better fit.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I should also mention low dome bracelet stock which is flat on the bottom and slightly domed on the top. Really nice stuff.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
I do relief work. 16 Gauge works well in silver but is a bit light if copper.

I anneal and hammer out 1/4" or 5/16" cooper wire and it makes a nice narrow bracelet. Normal people have a set of rolls. Some folks like copper for their arthritis. For females I'm finding 5" length is about as small as they need to be and 6" for the upper end with 5.25" to 5.5" popular. I haven't done any guy bracelet but around here lots of guys wear copper bracelets, and they ain't they type you tease about such things.

Idea, make some copper fitting bracelets for people to try on and take custom orders. Some folks like unadorned hammered bracelets better than MY carving.

Pendants fit all sizes and double as watch/keychain/dog tags.

Shows in Sept? I'm really slow and it would take me that long to finish one bracelet. :)

John

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm looking to do the type stuff where I can finish about 6 bracelets in an evening. This isn't the market for a $500 bracelet that took almost two days to cut. I'm really looking at doing fast brightcut & wriggle type stuff for fast cash locally.

Now that you mention it Sam, Mark Thomas mentioned to me in a PM that he domes some of his flat stock bracelets. Mark is getting ready for a show right now so he may not see this in time. I don't know how he is doing that. Do any of you have an easy way to dome a bracelet without buying a press and forms?

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you can dome it on a stake just fine. the polyurethane hammer will do a really nice job without making the surface all peened up. I'd still put masking tape over the engraved design, just to prevent scratching

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors