Boundries and road blocks in design

spadebit

My home is in the central California mountains, a
I am taking a moment to brag on my daughter Nevada again, she not only done some really nice work but managed open my eyes to possibilities that I had not considered. Never hurts to have new eyes looking at old ways of doing things. Nevada ( that's my daughters name) was asked to participate at Elko Poetry Gathering this January in a young artists exhibit they will exhibit in the Museum. She told me that she had done the primary art work for some interesting pieces. My first reaction was that the round buckle was not really a challenge to her-(she reminded me that she had never done any soldering of silver to steel). The bracelet however just would not work as I seen it. She was convinced it would, and invited me along on the journey to help where I could. I made her do all the art work with paper-pen and pencil. You should understand I also encourage her to work at learning CAD as well as Adobe Illustrator as I think it is a must to know. We converted her pencil art by way of ray-trace. We saved files as PDF so we could import and color them to see what we would have in the end. Plenty of saw work, building rivets, soldering, polishing then forming and fastening and yes onto final polish of the pieces. The round steel buckle is sterling and gold on browned steel. The Peek-a-Boo Floral Bracelet is a bridge span affair made up of 7 layers all soldered and riveted together. The bottommost layer is fully bright cut engraved sterling, over that it is spanned by a heavy copper pierced scroll net over the top. Purposefully off center on the top is a leaf section to which is attached a 2 layer flower and a 2 layer flower center.The span that lays between the two is what I for-saw as a real problem, which turned out not to be a problem at all. The span distance as she stated was important to allow the viewer to see thru the pierced pattern to the engraving below- she was right. Cant tell you how much fun it is to have an eager student who readily listens
to advice, but willfully defends her design concepts and sees them thru to completion. As a teacher and a father, it is a real Blessing to have a kid who is as eager and talented, want to do something similar but with her own sense of expression. I hope you folks don't mind my moment to brag once again on Nevada's progress.

Attachments

• NEVADA-2.jpg
    NEVADA-2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 296
  • Elko-artwork.jpg
    Elko-artwork.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 289
  • NEVADA-3.jpg
    NEVADA-3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 291
  • Nevada-1.jpg
    Nevada-1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 291
  • Elko Buckle-fina-colored.jpg
    Elko Buckle-fina-colored.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 294

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow that's a great piece of art, I think you are still very modest, if one of my daughters would achieve this I would brag even more and louder.... ;)

Caty Blom

Elite Cafe Member
I am very impressed by this work, and may believe that you are very proud of it and your daughter. I wished myself as a father, but unfortunately I do not. Greetings Caty.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's some mighty impressive design and construction there, Jeremiah! Congrats to Nevada and you too for seeing her vision to the end. As you said, having some new eyes looking at old ways of doing things can produce very surprising results! :thumbsup: :clapping:

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
You deserve to brag. The concept is awesome and the execution naturally just keeps getting better. Wonderful.

todd

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have seen several of the entries in this show and must say along with Nevadas budding talent, there are quite a few that are worth going to see. I am very impressed with the new generation of metalsmiths and engravers, us old(er) guys should be proud!!!!!!

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Quite impressive Nevada, a proud moment for you Jeremiah ..... what else could one ask for, best of luck in the show! I hope some of the other entries will be shown or a link to view them.
Mark

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
You should be proud. The bracelet shows great imagination and skill. Not easy to come up with something so complex that actually works.

Latest posts

Sponsors