Question: Blued Henry .22 cal. rifles, engravable?

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just got a request to engrave a Henry .22 cal rifle that the caller said was blued all over. (not a brass frame) Has anyone tried cutting one of these? They are not listed in the Engravable/unengravable list on this forum. Thanks in advance for any help.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They are powder coated alloy. Stay away unless you feel like stripping the entire frame. Same goes for the "golden boy" or Yellow boy" .22.
The larger caliber levers are brass frame however.

rfattig

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I dont think its even powder coat- acts like paint. A little stripper and it wipes off. Cuts fine.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I never really checked but it could just be a paint. I have cut several of these before they were coated and as you say they cut decent for an alloy.

rfattig

They seem like a really good student project. If they're happy with their work, they can buy a gun off the rack, slip the receiver cover on and have an engraved gun. No barrel removal and little disassembly. Or are they not that universal ?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Actually, that is exactly what I do with them. At the GRS Training Center we special order the covers from Henry without finish for a beginning firearms engraving class. The student can engrave them and put them on a rifle. The receiver is actually just a "cover" and does not require a FFL for ownership also. I don't think Henry would sell the bare covers but I think you can order the black ones as a part.
Click this for a link to the class.
Rex

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
O.K., now I am throughly confused! You are saying that they are engravable, but the finish is hard to replicate? Since I started this thread, I have contacted Henry's, and they told me that they did not recommend trying to engrave these guns. Maybe they are just being lawyer-smart?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The metal engraves decent but I have no idea how the finish strips. According to others it strips OK but I have no idea.
I've only done the bare ones and I do know from others that the factory finish chips and flakes if you try to cut through it.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Ed - Rex:

I did want to show a couple of photos of a "Yellow Boy .22" I did at Christmas this year. I understand the original question was about the black finish, somewhere above the Yellow Model was also mentioned.

It was for a good friend who was giving it to his grandson, and I told him I could engrave a Henry Yellow Boy even before I knew there was such a thing as this Youth Model .22 ! It was not at all what I had an anticipated when he brought it over, and when I told him that I fully expected the finish (epoxy/lacquer??"?) to chip away when I cut it, but he really wanted me to try. Before I started we both agreed that of the finish chipped away and we ended up with a mess, he could always order another "Cover."

All things considered, it didn't go that badly - but these photos don't really show the microscopic chipping that occurred around the graver cuts. This finish is rather soft and chipping was minimal, but it is also very, very delicate and I kept my hands off the surface while I was working. I have placed this Henry Model gun on my personal "Do Not Engrave" list for the future. The better option for folks who really want an inscription on this gun should order it from Henry - they offer an option for placing an inscription and scroll work (looks like it is printed/applied somehow) under the final finish.

Last edited:

rfattig

henryra22 0011.jpg
Very nice Mike.
If I have uploaded it right, this is a blue version. (stripped)