Question: blank size for engraving bands

jbrayout

Would like to try engraving on a ring blank. What would be the best width and thickness? I see where Sam Alfano engraves on the sides of the rings too. Thought it would be worth trying.
Also where is a good place to buy ring blanks? Or do you buy it in tubing and cut your own?
Thanks,
Jenny

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
Slices of copper tube sound like great practice pieces to me.
Spray them with something clear to keep them from tarnishing when you're done.
Rio Grande in Albuquerque is a jewelry supply company where it is easy to set up an account.
They sell many types of rings and also tools & raw materials.
I would recommend you go with a flat band.

We were taught in Sam's class to lay out most of the "classic" patterns about 3mm wide. Add a bit extra for edges.
Good luck!

good luck!

JakeW

Hoover and strong in Richmond VA has made to order ring blanks just about any size width and thickness. You can get them in silver, gold (all colors), platinum. If you want to engrave sides of ring then you want them thicker. Usually when I am going to engrave sides I have them 1.7 to 2mm in depth. As far as width, depends on your design.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Someone asked this same thing not too long ago. Go to the "buy and sell" threads and about 6 threads down look for the thread that says "wanted brass rings" or something like that. There are lots of replies and that should lead you to where you need to go. Also, rio grande.com has brass practice rings for about $6/dozen.

Latest posts

Sponsors