Bill Mains

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was informed today that Bill Mains has passed away.
If I remember correctly, Bill was a founding member. Most recently he was more into making dies but still was doing guns as well. I was directed to trapshooters.com for the news about him.
My condolences go to him and his famiy.
Rex

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bill had quit an engraving career if you have Roger's book American Engravers you'll find Bill's bio,condolences to Bill's family and friends. J.J.

KBAgee

In response to the posts about the passing of Bill Mains, this is his daughter Kimberly Mains-Agee. Unfortunately I must confirm the sad news that our beloved dad did pass away at Bandera Gun Club on Dec. 28th. As many of you know, he was a great man who knew his craft and did it well. He did what he loved; hand engraving; up through the day he died. He was a legend in the hand engraving world, and he will be deeply missed by many, especially by his family to whom he was the best dad ever! He always spoke highly of the wonderful people he has known around the country at various gun clubs. Thank you for the kind and respectful words and for being a friend to my hero - my dad. God bless you. (Formal obituary and services forthcoming) Respectfully, Bill’s Daughters: Kimberly Agee and Robin Mains

From one of Bill's 2 daughters.

This is Robin Mains, Bill's eldest daughter. I registered today so I could join your forum and THANK YOU ALL for your kind words and condolences on my Dad's passing. Despite what some may have heard or seen on other sites, there WILL be funeral services for him, date to be announced soon (yet undetermined) and it will be a Military funeral with honors at one of the National Cemeteries in the Nashville TN area, where I and my sister Kim (Agee) and her family reside, as our Dad had been in the US Air Force as a young man, and was honorably discharged about 7 months before my birth. Our thanks to all of you on sthis and so many other websites for your wonderful comments about and memories of our Dad. You are giving us much-needed comfort and joy during this sad time!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd like to offer my condolences to the Mains family and especially thank Bill's daughters for taking the time to post on this forum. Bill was indeed a founding member of FEGA who participated in the formation meeting held in Las Vegas in 1980. Even 32 years ago, Bill was known as one of the best recognized and respected gun engravers in America. Bill first learned engraving at Bowman Technical School in 1954 and continued in the trade for 58 years.

I have attached a picture of Bill from 1979 that shows him at his foot turned vise.

I have added this image to Historic Photos of Engravers in the Gallery section of this site.

Attachments

• Bill Mains 1979.jpg
    Bill Mains 1979.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

George H Wilson Jr

Many eyars ago...Bill Mains engraved my Perazzi Mirage skeet gun...he did the 34-35 duck tampon one side and a scene I described to him of ruffed grouse taking off oit of blackberry bramle and braken ferns, and a came of my German Shorthair Pointer...his work was breathtaking....during the work he called and asked me how hot I was to get
it...as he had put one of the gravers though his thumb....told him...not hot at all...take your time...work only as the spirit leads...one heck of fine man....damn shame he is no lnger with us...he was in Las Vegas at the time of this work...B McDaniel had secured his services for me..and did the prep work of polishing...he too is gone...our loss. Blessings.

Latest posts

Sponsors