Big Hobo Nickel

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a 3 inch buffalo nickel replia that I carved into a giant hobo nickel.
A fun project to do. The collector that commissioned it had it set into a large sterling silver bezel so he could wear it.
Keith

Attachments

• 76mmhobo.jpg
    76mmhobo.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 202

Joe

Very nice! I picked one of those up about 30 years ago at Monticello. They sold them because Jefferson is on them. I thought I'd HOBO it out one of these days, but you beat me to it. I wonder if they still sell them. Again, I like yours very much.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone. It was a fun coin to carve.

Joe, This coin wasn't a Jefferson, it was an indian head on the face. Although I think I will try a Jefferson giant nickel. They still sell the coins, You can get them on ebay under giant nickel or novelty nickel.

Lefty Dave,
It took too long. I spent 11 hours cutting one day and then put it away for a week or so and then finished it over a few nights. I think around 18 hours of cutting. The fields I used small sanding sticks that had sandpaper bands on them to get smooth.

Rex,
Too bad the coin wasnt 24k gold. There were LOTS of chips after this one.......

Last edited:

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
Nice job Keith. A lot nicer than my huge cast aluminum nickel I did many years ago. It was so big, I used a 4" Makita grinder for most of the roughing out. What is yours made out of?

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Ron,
It was cast aluminum, the real gummy stuff. I tried mizzy wheels on it and clogged them up. I just went to a wide flat and hammer and chisel to rough out.

Sponsors