Big Gun Big Scroll

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
This is a gun I'm working on for a friend of mine Brad Esslinger. The center will have some quail. It is challenging , because shading these larger scrolls is much harder than shading small ones. The reason is that you you have a long way to make the taper cut to give you good color. Chris

Attachments

• DSC_0145.JPG
    DSC_0145.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC_0148.JPG
    DSC_0148.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC_0153.JPG
    DSC_0153.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC_0154.JPG
    DSC_0154.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC_0155.JPG
    DSC_0155.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC_0156.JPG
    DSC_0156.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 261

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doggone it!! With all the cool work being shown on this site I spend more time studying in front of this darn screen, time that I should spend actually drawing and cutting. Between these last bunch of posts, and now yours, I really don't think I am going to get anything done for awhile, not that I was ever that productive in the first place.

Beautiful work and thanks for posting. A great study for sure! Thanks, Seth

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a really nice acanthus design, Chris. And you're right, large work means longer, tapered lines, and in this example you have a LOT of them. You're really controlling the shades of grey well. Exceptional work and some of the best I've seen posted in awhile. / ~Sam

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, It's beautiful. Brad is going to be one happy guy. I hope I get to see it. Will you have it at the GM?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Really nice Chris! That is one heck of a lot of shading lines. Now you have to look forward to the other side!!
Rex

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Brad will be very proud of that beautiful work Chris...
Brad and I talked just before the Blade Show and was having a great time in Texas...
Hope to see it in person some day...
Thanks Chris,
Jerry

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Chris your work is magnetic. It seems to draw all the creativity in ones mind to attention. Thanks for sharing your talents and skills.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For those of us pretty much ignorant in the firearms area (me), what are the overall dimensions of the piece ( in mms/cms )? The cutting looks good to me; I'll have to spend more time looking to appreciate what you've accomplished.
Kevin P.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kevin,
The rough dimensions of a Model 12 shotgun side (the flat area) is 6.5" X 1.5". I think that is roughly 170mm X 40mm.
It's BIG....
Rex

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
some say the human hand cant attain perfection. i'm not sure this is so. just look at this !

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
I can't even imagine creating something so beautiful and then leting go of it. Every time I go back to it, I see something new and wonderful. Thank you for sharing this.

isaac

Those leafs look like their alive! Unbelievable depth in that engraving.

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Chris

Incredible work . The quails will be the cherry on the cake .
Jordi sent me your Self study bulino kit, it's a treasure.
Thank you for all Monsieur Chris it was an honour and a pleasure to meet you in Thiers.

Greetings

Jean