better shade

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks pretty darn nice to me!

What graver geometry are you using? The only reason I ask is that I mentioned it before and didn't seem to garner any other input. I find it easier to get a nice really thin to thick tapered shade line with a traditional heel. I have a dickens of a time achieving the same look with a parallel heel. I find it wants to bite in quicker and more easily than a traditional heel. Whereas the traditional heel I find easier to skid heel slightly to start the shade cut thereby making that nice tapered shade cut.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The parallel heel though is very nice for regular cuts as you can make really tight turns easily.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Good job Shawn. Really clean work. There are about a million engravers struggling diligently to get where you are with shading.

I shade with a EG120 now. For years I used a standard heel 120 and that works great, too. Prior to that I shaded everything with a 90. If I'm not mistaken Ray Cover prefers a square graver for shading. It's all in what feels best for you and delivers the best results. There is no perfect shading graver (or any other graver for that matter) that suits everyone.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fantastic. I'm working on a job right now and your shading is what I use as a benchmark of where I need to get. And Sam is right. This really does stand out from the crowd. When the heck do you sleep man?

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn, I watched your video in whiche you are showing us your shading technique for a flower,I learned a lot from that video because you explaned it very clear where and how to cut.
You are absolutely the expert on shading, I would love to see you making a video (not for free) where you are teaching in general all your shading skills to those who are standing in your shadow... (like me)
Wouldn´t that be an idea???

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn, I agree with all the above your shading is awesome, I'm trying hard to get there but it's a struggle for me. I also love your flower designs.

Dwayne

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn, I watched your video in whiche you are showing us your shading technique for a flower,I learned a lot from that video because you explaned it very clear where and how to cut.
You are absolutely the expert on shading, I would love to see you making a video (not for free) where you are teaching in general all your shading skills to those who are standing in your shadow... (like me)
Wouldn´t that be an idea???

Where can I see this video?

Carlos De La O III

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn,

Another inspiring piece, with impeccable shading, for which you are acquiring a deserved reputation, and since you have been most kind to post your timeline of development, we know it has come about by diligent practice, and sticking with it.

On the round piece, I like the gravity drooping petals of the flower, gently inflected downwards, radially, and how you have used the droop of the leaves to tie in with the scroll, so that the petals tie the scroll and the border curve together in a subtle way that works very well.

Too many words for ya? Then let's just call it darn good!

best

Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors