Bent line engraver

DARNEW

It has been about ten years since I have built a silver buckle. I have an order for one now, but I can not remember what size of bent liner to use for the lines. Can some one who dose a lot of silver brite cutting let me know what size I need.

Thank you Doug A.

diane

Hi Doug. I have always used an 18/10 for the leaf shading and a 28/10 or 30/10 for the cross-hatching. The larger one is a bit harder to find, but you can get it in a straight liner from GRS, and I think they have the best price.

Diane

DARNEW

Thank you for the info. I will post the buckle when I get it done.

Doug

diane b

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I have never heard of a bent line graver, so looked around on the internet (didn't see any on GRS website and Ngraver website is offline) and found a picture of one. I assume the numbers 18/10 or 30/10 relate to number of lines per some measurement. Why the curved shape? Is this used primarily in brite cut engraving? I would appreciate any information about this tool. I've just started engraving. Thank you.
diane

DARNEW

Yes a bent line engraver is used to put the shading, per say, in the leafs on a bright cut engraving. The numbers are related to the distance between the lines and the number of lines. The larger gravers are used to cut across the shaded lines. It is the same principel as single line engraving but you are using a tool that has many lines in it. There is a certain way thet must be sharpened in order for them to work correctly. If you look at some of the buckles posted on this site, mine or Gregs you will see the shading.

Doug

Andrew Biggs

Hi Diane

As Scratchmo says. The bent liners act as a heel and can be a bit easier to control. The straight liners can have a tendancey to dig into the work. A lot of people modify these liners to their own specifications.

GRS have them in their "new" section of the downloadable PDF file here http://www.grstools.com/PDFs/Flyers/LIT257GRSnewProd.pdf

NGraver's web site is still around, just a bit trickey to get to here http://www.ngraver.com/cutters.htm

Both sell excellent liners

Cheers
Andrew

diane b

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Doug, Scratchmo, and Andrew,
Thank you for the information. There is sooooo much to learn. I really appreciate your help. Andrew, I will check out the websites. thanks again
diane

Latest posts

Sponsors