Bending sterling silver into ring

claxton

A lady at church gave me 2 - .925 sterling silver spoons to cut the handles off and make rings. Here's the question do they have to be annealed to bend? Never done anything like this before and don't want to ruin them. These are small spoons like the souvenir state spoons people collect.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
I know several people who make items out of silver flatware, and most of the time they don't anneal them. That said I also know that they own the flatware so if it breaks it gets tossed into the melt. Sometimes its better safe than sorry, if you have any doubts I'd say anneal them.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that stuff is how i earned my first money. i watched the guy make these on the spot--art shows & flea markets (upscale work for sure) ! he never annealed as the amount of hammering with his mallet was minimal to achieve the full circle. he used a variety of steel rods. they were sized to match for his ring sizer. his total time to create the ring- maybe 2 minutes max. i would then engrave the initials fifty cents each one. believe it or not, i was pleased to get this money.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Use a soft mallet like a worn rawhide mallet or a neoprene one. Hammer gently over a mandrel of some sort. Ring mandrel if you have one or some steel tubing if not. There will be a bit of tweaking with smooth pliers at the end to do. In general, silver flatwear is pretty soft.

mrthe

Annealing it before, silver used to make spoon should be much hard than the one used in jewelery (800/1000) , and in the 99% of times are formed in a press and you beed to anneal it.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Of course, for bending just one ring this is over the top, however, it took me several years finding someone who would ship me a ring bender from Pepe Tools.
Finally Chris DeCamillis sent me one after he ordered one from PepeTools. Over here in Europe, I know of plenty goldsmith having placed an order for one and still waiting.
If you bend rings, sure a "must have one"

Mine came with extra nylon collets, nice to bend a ring that is already set with stones

arnaud

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
If the spoon is pierced out at the bend area as some patterns are, you will want to anneal it first. If it is solid no annealing should be necessary.

Sponsors