Belt Buckle

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice buckle, Peter,

Asymmetric ornament yet it has good balance, I like that!

I have been cutting three more of those shell style keys tonight, after working the day shift on flute bodies, but my wife has me stop at about 11.30pm. My energy remains high, even late at night.

It was pretty good weather today, with only a slight wind coming off the ocean, so I took an hour to walk the cliff edge at low tide with a couple of musician buddies. The beach below the cliffs at the river mouth was looking very expansive. Cormorants clung to steep sloping ledges on a little island just offshore. They raise their young in such precarious, exposed situations, and remind me of wild dangerous days in my childhood, when I was about 10 years old, spending the summer barefoot with my Gaelic speaking cousins on the Hebridean island of Barra. They were much older, about 14, and fearless. We took the small boat out with a shotgun, and came in close to the cliff with the sea very choppy. Angus John was somehow able to shoot two cormorants, but it was difficult and dangerous scooping them from the choppy seas so close in to the cliffs. Even scarier was riding the swells coming back into the bay, with the following waves almost swamping the boat. Needless to say, no life jackets, the sea is treated rather casually by the young islanders. We cleaned the birds, and my cousins made me swear not to discuss the boat ride in detail with their father. Cormorant is not my favourite dish, a bit too strong and fishy to the palate, but not as bad as eating seagulls in the Arctic. You had to be desperate, and we were.

Today, an osprey perched on the gnarled tree growing from a crack on the cliff face. He uses that perch often, and has a good view of whatever is swimming a bit offshore. With the white sand and shallow water, the raptor can see shadowy outlines of fish. When he takes flight to scoop his prey out of the water, it is perfect split second mastery.

Of course, the fish has a different experience of the moment...

How's life with you?

Rod

Last edited:

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for the nice comments!

Willem,
The belt is of my making also and so is the wire border stamp.

Rod,

I like doing asymmetric, gives it more pep if it works and it also depends who it is going to.

Our heat wave up here is gone and we got some more normal temperatures.

My work is a bit more varied at the moment, with some braiding, engraving, getting seedlings transplanted and the garden ready. Got some young horses that need some riding as well. The days are longer so I get more done but the evenings are shorter so I lagging behind even more on answering mail and posts.

Flair cut a set of wedding bands today what was a bit of a challenge, more magnification would have been nice but I got it done with my Russian spectacles ( poor mans zeiss loupes)

Always good to hear from you. Ospreys wouldn't find much on my place unless they take a liking to the fish in my stock tank, but I do have a pair of small hawks nesting close by and they prey on the little birds in the orchard. Sure is fascinating watching them swoop down to get a meal. The little birds most likely the same experience then the fish...... always need to observe nature at its finest.

Peter

Latest posts

Sponsors