Beginner help

Cowgirlup8807

Hi all, I am a leather worker by trade but I want to do simple engraving on sterling silver and copper for jewelry. I have tried to do a bunch of research but there are so many opinions I can't find what I actually need. I read the beginner tools post and still don't quite understand exactly which graver(s) I should start with. My question is what type of graver(s) should I start with to do basic engraving like seen here: http://instagr.am/p/B-f3mC8B5CU/ This is not my photo, it belongs to the classy trailer and is just an idea of the type of work I want to do.
I don't plan on getting into anything more than this at this point so I'd like to keep costs down but I'll pay for quality tools. What should I start with?
Thanks so much!
Christina

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if it was me, i'd start with a 90 degree square. and maybe a flat graver.. you're also going to need a way to hold the parts you wish to engrave. you will also need a sharpening system, or at least a quality diamond impregnated sharpening stone. something else is a requirement for quality work--- one needs to become profficient at drawing. bad drawing results in shoddy engraving.
there's so much info here, and online, i''d at least try to get a" picture" of what will be needed to do saleable engraving.
forgive my manners, welcome to the forum. i wish you luck in your endeavor.