been setting up engraving room having trouble with pattern transfer

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
check the forum posts and tips section. there's volumes of info on this subject. it's been covered so many times. also there are many differing techniques featured.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Try scuffing the surface a hair. If the surface is to smooth the transfer won't hold.

vinyard knife

was thinking it might be the printer i am using hp photo smart 5520 . not real sure any suggestions on a printer that would be ideal for this would be worth it waight in gold .

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Vinyard Knife

You say you have been using transfer film with fluid ?

Which transfer film?

What fluid ?

I use Tom Whites transfer film and his original clear Transfer Magic and have had very good luck

http://www.twdesignshone.com/

Make sure substrate (nickel silver) is perfectly clean (clean with Isopropyl alcohol)

Do not touch cleaned surface

Tape your film along the top edge to a plain sheet of 8 ½ by 11 paper with the coated side of the film up (so as to be printed),

Backing up the film with a full page of plain paper will allow you to cut off small sections of the film and then print again without ruining the whole film sheet,

Tape the cut off design section to your nickel silver along one edge, using the tape as a hinge

Fold back the design and coat the nickel silver with a light coat of Transfer Magic, and let dry

It helps to blow lightly on the Transfer Magic to speed up the drying time

As soon as the Transfer Magic flashes over it is ready

Fold back the design so the printed ink design is laying on the Transfer Magic

Hold the design in place and start to burnish the design film until the transfer is complete

My main burnishing tool is a ordinary spoon I swiped from the kitchen table

I might use the bottom or the edge of the spoon what ever is necessary

If I am still having a problem getting the transfer I go to my backup burnisher, which is a cheap giveaway ballpoint ink pen, the kind with a large ball

If it is possible to make the transfer the ink pen will always work

Do not worry about ink in the pen it helps to lubricate the film surface, I have used my pen for so long that the ink is long gone. Still works

You can lift the design along the tape flap to check your transfer progress

If you have missed a few places, fold it back down and burnish some more

When you are satisfied with the transfer, remove the design and discard

Now I spray a very light (just a fog) of clear lacquer over the transfer

When everything is dry you are ready to cut

Once you get the hang of this, Transfers are really easy

Kenneth Crutcher

Jahn Baker

Elite Cafe Member
I'm using the least expensive Epson, the C88+. It prints on acetate binder covers or baker's parchment and transfers nicely to any metal coated with a thin bit of white lacquer painted on. This isn't terribly sophisticated, but it works for me.

vinyard knife

got all the bugs worked out got nice clear pattern transfer with tom whites film an solution . was nice to have easy made patterns for practice peaces loving it !

Latest posts

Sponsors