basic tool list for the beginner???

ouporblowup

ive tried finding some beginner tools but have looked in all the wrong places

i honestly dont know the tools or names of the tools so i can find them in the classifieds

im deffinently on a budget to and probly cant afford an airgraver or an engraving vise

thanks guys, after seing all your work ive got the itch and wanna start ASAP

ooo

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
GRS tool, Engraverstudio, the Linsey forum (as I use an air graver,) and here are some of my go to places for equipment. There is a buy and sell link on this forum; eBay has stuff but it gets watched pretty closely by alot who are one this forum. There is a link in the cafe page on a inexpensive way to give it a try, I wish I could post the link but I don't know how: basicly what it consists of is purchasing one or two gravers (probably a onglett and a flat) a practice plate and a handle. And using your bench vise instead of a ball. Hope this helps. K Frei

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello, ouporblowup,

I received John Schipper's new book today, and just skimmed it. Anyone starting into engraving should first buy this book, as it is an excellent overview and takes the beginner right from square one. You will not regret the buy, and you will save money in being guided forward from tool selection, purchase, right through everything and finally on to all the air assist tools, and Ray's N'engraver, so it is tool neutral. It starts with an excellent overview of hand and hammer and chisel, and a ton of info on sharpening.

So buy the book and enjoy it, and from there make some informed choices on tool purchase.

This new book has been posted before by some of our colleagues in other posts.

I got mine from the Lindsay site:

http://www.airgraver.com/Engraving-Historic-Firarms-John-Schippers.htm

It is available also from:

http://www.nmlra.org/

There may be others selling the book, so look around and make your own choice.

best

Rod

P S ... forum names work best when the are short and easy to use, you will get more replies that way ...?

Last edited:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like these guys said. Don't let the expense of power tools stop you. There is nothing wrong with a hammer and chisel.

Ray

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
www.gesswein.com is a Jewelers tool supply house, but they sell to anyone with a credit card.

Also rosenthal Jewelers supply is another good source. If you go to their website, www.jewelerstoystore.com you can get some pretty good tools at a significant discount.

Realistically all you need is one square graver blank, a graver handle, a vice, an optivisors, and a combination India stone. All together you can get started with this for about $500 or less.

Latest posts

Sponsors