Banknote style engraving in progress (Design Lienard griffin)

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
This will be our exam piece at school engraved on a buckle
Banknote style engraving in progress (Design Lienard griffin) I will post more pictures

Part of the original drawing by Lienard; http://www.flickr.com/photos/surfacefragments2/5446717350/in/set-72157625927113353/lightbox/

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
good looking work. doesn't it scare you when looking at it thru the scope ?

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks!!

@ Monk, :D
@ Bert, yes i trace the contours with the pantograph, just the contours not the shading lines
@ Gargoyle, yes these are centimeters the head is something like 7mm

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I understand. Your work is outstanding. I thought that was what I noticed but I ask to make sure. I find it very interesting to see the little tricks of really good engravers. I'm always learning so it's nice to pick up on how others layout their work.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Bram,

Absolutely Fantastic!

When you finish it I will send my address where you can ship it to. :biggrin:

This emphasizes the ability for lines to give great form.

Seriously though you should consider making a mold and doing resin castings of it.

Chris

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bram,

This is a superb piece of work that you are doing, and I like the balance of the whole design. As Chris implies, line work that is well done can produce excellent results!

Rod

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
what did you trace it from-- paper dwg, foto, or an actual grooved template ? whateverm the engraving is top shelf.

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:clapping: Very nice work Bram! You're creating a pretty interesting tutorial on the banknote engraving-cross hatching technique, thanks for showing :thumbsup: Groeten, Paulie

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you, Thank you!! This is the first time i do this type of "cross hatching banknote style" I will do more of this type of engraving in the coming months. Most of these will be copies later i will try by what i learned of this technique to engrave portraits which have never been engraved. But First i need to understand how to create volumes etc.
The problem i don't knwo much engravers who are still capable doing this type of engraving. Alain Lovenberg The master engraver is an engraver who inspired me to start learning it.
I would love it there were some good books about this technique but as far is i know there aren't

Anyway i keep you guys up to date more pics will follow next week!

@ Christian this is the first time i do this type of engraving, i'm only 23 years old so i don't have a lot of practical experience the day i feel more confident of my work i'll probably make some castings;)
@Monk i just use normal paper, a copy of the drawing and go over the outer lines (the contours) I takes a little practice but it is a really good way of tracing animals etc very precise!

Latest posts

Sponsors