Bad Brass Ideas?

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can weld silicon bronze, most bronze sculpture made today is silicon bronze. TIG works very well to fill voids.
Brian.
I agree world is strange these days, I was on a trip in central America last month and kids in the not so nice parts were using smartphones, but no funds for food,shelter

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
I kind of wished I hadn't followed this thread. I was thinking of all the different brass and bronze stuff I've cut over the and nothing was really too much trouble. Most of this work has revolved around muzzleloaders so who knows what some of this stuff is when cutting. Then last night and today, so I couldn't chalk it up to a bad day, I'm cutting some fine cast yellow brass, soft stuff, there is 6 of each piece following the design from a rifle made in 1752. I have had the worst time trying cut just a line of somewhat uniform depth. This stuff has some crazy stuff going on in the mix, cuts fine then dives in like I'm duck after food. Now mind you I'm under a scope so most of it won't be seen and probably can be interpreted as the way it was but still is frustrating. The butt plate cut fine but I'm on one of the trigger guards so I'll see what the other one is like since I have another one to cut.
Thanks, now I feel better, just got to love the many little challenges :) Back to the real point of this thread!
Mark

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So much of the refining today is done off shore where there is very little quality control. Who knows what is in the "brass". It is the same with so much imported manufactured products. No consistency. One okay the next plain sucks. I have had problems with Walmart models of name brand ammo. I wont be buying high power cartridges from them or even shotgun shells. Fred

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Try super sharp grave with 50+ face angle and fine multi cuts and plenty of cutting lube takes time but has worked for me on a cast brass plane of poor quality give this a try on the under side first
Ray