Help, please: background dot punches

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
trying to find a place to order background dot punches like the ones ngraver makes. there site doesnt seem to do online business. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Andrew Biggs

HI Griff

Any of the jewellery tool suppliers should stock them in all the sizes. Below are three of them

Gesswein http://www.gesswein.com Rio Grande http://www.riogrande.com/Home Otto Frei http://www.ottofrei.com/home.php

It pays to buy a few at a time. Sometimes one will last a long time and another will break instantly for some strange reason........depending on the metal you are hammering them into will also depend on how long they last.

Cheers
Andrew

PS. Make sure you type in Beading Tool in the search boxes. We are the only ones that call them background dot punches :)

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been using the ones from Ngraver for it seems like a gazillion years. I basically use them on firearms and they hold up better than the silversmith/jeweler supplier ones I have found. I buy a bunch at a time. Give Ray a call and order them

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I also use Ray's background dot punches and his liner graver are the best for anyone who is a jewellery engraver. J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've been using the ones from Ngraver for it seems like a gazillion years. I basically use them on firearms and they hold up better than the silversmith/jeweler supplier ones I have found. I buy a bunch at a time. Give Ray a call and order them

Marty: Do you know if Ray manufactures his own beading tools? I find it interesting that his hold up better than the ones from jewelers supply places.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
He does manufacture his own.

They hold up better because they were designed to be backgrounding punches for gun steel engravers from the get-go...

And beading tools were designed for setting stones in softer metal. Pushed. Not struck with a hammer.

Therefore the diameter of the shafts are different, maybe the alloy of steel might be different, probably tempered a bit different?

The lightweight, narrow beading tools should be used for what they were made for - forming beads in softer metals for stone setting applications.

Ray's thicker, tougher ones for backgrounding on steel.

As usual - my opinion, based on my experience - and yer mileage may vary...

Brian

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes he does Sam. He can also make custom stamps to your specs.
Brain hit the nail ( or beading punch ) right on the head with his comments as to what makes them work better.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Whhoopppsss..........I never claimed to be a good typist but at least this time the nimble clumsy fingers typed the truth.....you are a wealth of knowledge my friend

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
DOT BACKGROUND PUNCH SET

While this style of background has been used for over 100 years, and because most engravers would make their own, they were not of uniform size. The only commercial ones available were jewelers beading punches in 1/8" or 3mm diameter and are designed for stone setters working in soft metals. Ours are tool steel, heavy 1/4" shank, easy to hold, with long tapered nose for accurate placement, and heat treated to R60C hardness, and the only ones available specifically designed for use on steel, or any other metal. Made in four sizes, .010", .015", .020", .030", they fill the need for all background coverage. Package of 3 includes a No.1-.010"; No.2-.020"; and No.3-.030". The No.15-.015" and Nos. 1,2, and 3 are available singly.

These are the best; accept nothing less!

Sponsors