Authentic LDN engraved Winchester

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some time back we had a big discussion regarding the authenticity of an allegedly Nimschke engraved rifle. Here is a link to a Nimschke engraved 1866 Winchester that is as well authenticated as possible and shows all of the tell tale techniques that identifies a real LDN from the many fakes out there.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/view_item.aspx?aid=44&iid=223868

Those not familiar with LDN's work may wonder "what's the big deal about him. There are many engravers on this forum who are better." You must consider Nimschke's time period and the fact that though he engraved rapidly (hammer & chisel) to earn an income the overall impression of the work viewed by the naked eye was a very pleasing effect. People didn't view engraved guns with magnifyers and microscopes in the 19th century like some people do today. Nimschke also was the innovator of the style we call "Nimschke" today and the rifle shown in the link is a good example. Keep in mind though that LDN worked in many styles and did them all very well. His lettering was exquisite as well.

Enjoy the view,

Roger

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Roger That some fine work for the time period and I like the design and the price it may sell for...
Jerry

Andrew Biggs

Hi Roger

I think that what it really graphically illustrates is that good design is timeless. When you look at the Nimschke designs they are as good today as they were then and in another 100 years, they'll still look good.

No wonder students today still study and admire his work.

Cheers
Andrew

JT Kinney

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Mr. Bleile,

Your post is Fantastic, Thank You. I would like to add that I have located a copy of your book on Amazon, and it is on its way to me. I am like a cat on a hot tin roof wait for it to arrive. I have read many wonderful articles about the book, and now I will have my own copy. Thank You for the time, and work involved in it birth.

Best Wishes,
JT

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JT,

Thanks for the kind words. I never get tired of hearing positive comments. I really hope you enjoy it. These comments have been motivating me to work on a future engraving book.

Roger

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wish it was mine! I love these old Henry's and I love L.D.N.'s work! Thanks for the post! Dwayne

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are a few shots I took of some LDN and Ulrich 1866 Winchesters

Attachments

• 664web1.jpg
    664web1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 664web2.jpg
    664web2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 664web3.jpg
    664web3.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 63

James Wark

Thanks Roger for the link to the LDN piece. This also brings up another source for engraving studies. I just recieved an auction catalog from James D Julia company. There are many engraved firearms from all over the world. Often these pieces are expertly photographed and are great study material. I am sure the auction catalogs from Rock Island and others would be done just as well. I believe most companies still sell past auction catalogs. The history of some of the items are also interesting reading.
Jim

Latest posts

Sponsors