Aussie, Aussie, Aussie... Calling all Australians.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello.

I am hoping that all Australian engravers will post a reply to this thread and include roughly where you live and any other details you wish.

For example I am Danae and I live near Orange, NSW. I am new to engraving and am studying under Jeff Freeman's teaching.

This is my first thread on this site, so I hope I am doing everything right.

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Danae, welcome to the forum, you will earn heaps on here.If you believe every third thing Jeff says you will do well. Bump his elbow when he is showing you something, he just loves it! Get him to bring you up to Gods country next time we let him over the border.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
? Trade Fair?

hi Dani
Karl(sonofagraver) I'm in Sydney and I'm a jeweller and engraver
Ps: TyG we are in gods country it's called Australia Mate
pps: dani are you coming to the trade fair

Can you give me some details of the trade fair, when, where, where I can find some info on the web... That would be awesome.

Hey, what sort of equipment do all you guys use, hand push, GRS, Lindsay?

Regards, danae

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey there Dani, I have used almost every tool to engrave and there is no right brand, they all are tools in the Box so to speak. I do like the EnSet for control and power when I need it. Not to mention the cost and it only took me a few hours to get the hang of it. I Own an old Lindsay and still use it for stippling ect. I have owned and used GRS equipment, but found that using these tools also got me used to not having to feel much control, that is why I still hand push mostly. I 'm sure Freeman must have told you about the workshop we did at Ty's. Most of the people in the class were pretty new, so we went through both methods for them to try. For the most part, it might come down to what you can afford or are willing to spend to get the job done. Just remember that once you have spent big bucks to get a power assist, you better stick with it.

Andrew Biggs

If that's the Sydney show you're thinking of then it's the JAA Australian Jewellery Fair at the convention centre by Darling Harbour starting Sunday 2nd September to the 4th

Lots of goodies on display and plenty to look at from trade equipment to some serious bling. It's a great show.

I'll be at the HOJ (House of Jewellery) stand demonstrating the GRS engraving/setting equipment if you want to stop by and say hello/gidday :)

Because it's a trade show and not open to the general public I don't know if you can just walk in. I think you may have to pre register or something along those lines. It would pay to check it out beforehand to save any disappointment. If in doubt you could always contact the HOJ guys and they should be able to give you the full information that you need.

Cheers
Andrew

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

Matt from Sydney. Apprentice jeweller and as someone else said L-plate engraver, or less if possible!
I will be at the Sydney jewellery fair on some of the days!

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
enset

Hey,thanks for replying... I had never heard of enset before... are there any other options i could be looking at?

Regards, Danae.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dani, if you have the chance, try as many different systems before you spend a .20 piece,In the mean time practice with the tools you have and work at getting good with them.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
practice, practice, practice

Will do... I have been enjoying practicing with the wiggle tools I have and Jeff just gave me a square graver to practice with too so I am going to work on my fine line shading... which needs a lot of work. I have trouble getting it to move though... tends to jam up and then i put my arm down to get it mooving and slip, up and away. Practice is the only way I guess... but boy, it's not easy. Regards, Danae.:chip:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My Work... engraving with rotary tools and leatherwork. Danae.

I have some of my work on the lindsay engraving website... so if you search lindsay engraving forum albumb it will pop up and I will upload some new stuff soon so it will be at the top of the list instead of six or seven pages in if anyone's interested.
Regards, Danae.:graver:

Latest posts

Sponsors