Attempt to beat the laser

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A customer whose husband recently passed away asked me to transform his ring and wedding ring into a new one having his fingerprint engraved on the ring.

The lady already had a pendant made with the fingerprint engraved by a laser.

I don’t have a laser so I had to cut it by hand. :)

I scanned the fingerprint, used the â€￾ threshold filterâ€￾ in Photoshop the way I became a good printable pattern of the fingerprint ready for transfer. Sure I had to reflect the image first.

It is not a big deal to cut all these lines once transferred and I must say I was surprised by the result. And compared with the laser engraved fingerprint, mine done by hand look much more like a fingerprint. That because the laser engraves the entire pattern in a way it doesn’t look that much like a fingerprint any more. And if you look at a fingerprint, yes they are just lines.

And on top of it, if done by hand the fingerprint has bright cuts and the laser more like dots and dashes.

I engraved the fingerprint on a sheet of 18 karat gold and after that bended it using the PepeTool ring bender. That way it only took me about 10 minutes to engrave it.

After that I pierced out the outline of the ring inspired by the shape of the fingerprint and bended it.

So you might think I'm nuts, but this is piece of cake and made the customer very happy. :D

arnaud

mrthe

very nice done Arnaud you have beat the machine i think xd
i have make a similar ring months ago from a request of a mother , with a fingerprint of his son recently passed but i have finally put it inside the ring for give the sensation of his son ever day hold his hand, the customer like very much the idea i remember.
Is a pleasure see post you heare another time i admire very much your works!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
T bear, I just melted the gold on a charcoal block, used the mill to make it flat at desired finger size, then engraved and bend it with the Pepe Tool ring bender, and then just soldered it. that is all

arnaud

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:Wow, that's a nice ring, Arnaud! :thumbsup: The lady has a perfect emotional souvenir from her husband now.Thank you for your technical explanation, groeten, Paulie:beerchug:

Twinck

Very happy to see someone engrave a fingerprint, this is what my wife wants me to put on the dial of the watch I make for her.. Was curious how it would look !!

Two thumbs up!!

Latest posts

Sponsors