Athanasuis

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
This one of the knives I'm working on done in the Italian style engraving, would welcome your critiques.
Thanks
Rick

Attachments

• M#16-0~1332.jpg
    M#16-0~1332.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 473

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For a quiet guy with a cowboy hat you sure do some kicking work!
:)
You amaze me Rick! Fantastic!

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The only critique I have is the lettering that says "to my dear friend Scott Pilkington" is too faint to read.

After all, I was feeling sick last week, and some of your work in my hand would definately cheer me up! Work this good should just about make a lame man stand up and walk.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a major piece of artwork, Rick! I believe you've raised the benchmark with this one. Really spectacular job...you are the man! / ~Sam

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words, I've been studying some of the Italian styles, the shot is with no ink.

Scott, You could have your name on it if you put a card in the box at the AKI show in San Diego and get drawn, of course there will be a small fee if you get drawn.

Steve, I can post some blow ups , this was the largest it would alow to post.

I wouldn't mind so critiques though, this is my first time trying a different style like this, I liked the flow of the scroll to the right of the seahorse, but the scrollwork to the left of the face I'm not sure I like the flow of it as much, I'm just trying to improve the otherside, what do you all think?
Thanks
Rick

Sam

Staff member
Rick: You should be able post something much larger than this. Also, please add a high resolution photo to the Gallery. This is too good not to have access too in the future. ~Sam

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
I'm using photoshop, should I lower the resolution to get a larger photo, the kbs were to high to do any larger? You have to remember I' a little computer illiterate.
Rick

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Rick..Beautiful..can't wait to see the other side! Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
Manassas, VA

Sam

Staff member
Sam,
I'm using photoshop, should I lower the resolution to get a larger photo, the kbs were to high to do any larger? You have to remember I' a little computer illiterate.
Rick

Rick: In Photoshop don't do a "Save As". Instead, do a Save For The Web. You'll be presented with a screen with many options. Adjust the Quality slider to 50%, make sure you're saving as a JPG and not GIF, and you can also size the image dimensions by clicking on the Image Size tab. Keeping the size to 750 pixels seems to work fine. Although the forum software allows 800 pixel images, for some reason it'll reject them unless they're a few pixels LESS than 800.

Let me know how it works. / ~Sam

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rick, At first blush this is a breathtaker. I'd like to see it larger. If this will have ink in it as a finished piece it would be helpful to see it that way now. One of the hardest things is to get the values working together and on my engravings I'm never quite sure until I rub something in. then I'm usually seeing things I don't want to.

Sam

Staff member
Photoshop version 5? That was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth!

Time to upgrade!! / ~Sam

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
We also don't have DSL out here yet. I'm using a phone line and they ain't the best, 37.2 is the fastest and some times it only logs in at 26.0, and I'm too cheep to get satelite. But we do have gravel on the road now so I'm not complaining, used to have 4 miles of dirt gumbo(but that a diff. story).
The good side we don't get much traffic except when the combines are cutting (trucks hauling grain), and that gives me peace and quiet to work on these kind of pieces.
Thanks
Rick

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Sounds like a place i would like Rick!!
And the knife is beautiful thanks for sharing

Last edited:

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
Rick
The problem is that you are scanning and scanners are realllly bad about file size
go in and change your settings
you are scanning for a resolution of 600x600 dpi
drop that to 100x100 or less and you should be in the ball park
your scanner assumes printer output and thats why there is so much information/file size
i sent you a few to compare
dropping back to grey scale sves a pinch but not much
tweak it so it comes in a 120 k and it will upload fine

have fun

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Those bigger shots are sweet!

You might look into a Verizon wireless card for your access. I've got the unlimited data plan tacked on to my Treo smartphone and use it to get online when travelling / if my cable modem goes out. It's a little slower than cable but not too bad. I think the last time I tested it was around 140 - 200K. And Verizon recently did an upgrade to higher speed that my Treo can't take advantage of.

Depends on whether or not they've got broadband available at your house and if you'd get a good connection to it, of course, but it might be worth looking into.