At what point does the graver cut

MarkyMark

Hi Chaps, I was watching the Sams Alfano hand sharpening video...the video with the Red Ezy-lap..I have a silly question, he only sharpens the face, and and then makes a triangle wedge heel....not the belly behind the heel....my question, where does the graver cut?, right on the point?, or just behind the point on the heel?...

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Good evening Mark, That’s one of the only videos of Sam’s I don’t have but I’m guessing you could think of the “Point” as the edge of a knife and the heel the is the “sharping part“ of the blade. This logic could be flawed but I think thats the case. After plunging a few into some metal you’ll see. Good luck and have a wonderful day. BB

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Chaps, I was watching the Sams Alfano hand sharpening video...the video with the Red Ezy-lap..I have a silly question, he only sharpens the face, and and then makes a triangle wedge heel....not the belly behind the heel....my question, where does the graver cut?, right on the point?, or just behind the point on the heel?...

Have you looked at the sharpening diagrams? If not here they are ..... https://www.igraver.com/sharpening.shtml

MarkyMark

Thanks Chaps, I got it, BBucks thats a nice analogy which i can picture, like that tiny 1/4 mm from the point is like a tiny blade riding at 15 degrees, maybe!!..a few images of my up-scaled engraving vice

Attachments

• IMG_20220128_094740.png
    IMG_20220128_094740.png
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220128_094708.png
    IMG_20220128_094708.png
    641.9 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Sponsors