Art versus techincal engraving

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Art versus technical engraving

A technical engraver can cut perfect scrolls and lay them out on a given object to fit in its borders. An artistic engraver can use the scrolls to create a design or enhance a design present in the shape or materials used in the overall object. I think this a perfect illustration of the two. A technical engraver could have done any of the scrolls inside to perfection*. Only an artistic engraver could have put them together in this equine extravaganza.

http://www.virtuelles-kupferstichkabinett.de/zoomed.php?signatur=13399

* if I wanted to be be picky, I could say that some of the scrolls ARE a bit wonky, but this was intentional too, to help give more of a feel of the muscular composition of the horse.

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW, that's all I can say, Wow! There's some creativity for you. Do you have any idea when this design was drawn? It looks old but may be a more modern "homage" to a particular style. Who was the artist?

Great design is both technicaly sound and achieves an artistic goal in my opinion.

As a side note, being a horseman and coming from a family of Farriers, I find horses to be the perfect animal subject for design study. A horse with correct confirmation is a perfect example of the golden mean ( body length vs neck length), the rule of thirds ( fore quarters/ body/ hind quarters) and flow of line. With enough muscle, there are multiple lines of beauty. Here is a fine example....

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Try loading them through the pdf choice on the upper left of the first browsing or gallery page then print from there. they are protected from download otherwise. Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors