Art knife.

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Hello ladies and gentlemen!

After seeing Paul Lantuch post his work here, one gets a bit shy...

But here is my humble attemt on an art knife :)

Roman Blaha made the blade, I made the rest :tiphat:

rPICT0051red.jpg rPICT0063red.jpg

//Daniel Qvarnström

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fantastic work Daniël, what are the materials like the white part and the sort of wood?
Do you have a front picture of the white part and not only from the side? I am very curious about the full design.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I believe that one qualifies as an Art Knife even before the embellishment of the hilt and sheath. I'd also like to see a head-on picture of the scrim(?) work on the hilt.

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone :)

Fantastic work Daniël, what are the materials like the white part and the sort of wood?
Do you have a front picture of the white part and not only from the side? I am very curious about the full design.

The handle is made from mammoth ivory (both the white middle piece and the brown/blue front and backpieces) and desert ironwood.

Here are some blown up pictures.

rPICT0055red.jpg rPICT0057red.jpg

Heya Steve! With all respect :).. This is not scrimshaw, we differentiate between engravings and scrimshaw on ivory/antler/bone and other such mediums. Scrimshaw for us is dots or lines cut with needle or scalpel, but very little or no material is actually removed.

This is different, material is removed in a v-shape, just like engravings on metal.

What I've done, is more similar to the engravings of the old ones: Kniv-Elis, Nils Nilsson Skum, Jon PÃ¥lsson Fankki and so on.. There is a rich and very much alive tradition of antler engraving in Sweden, Finland and Norway. Particularly in the Sapmi area.

//DQ

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
Finaly! Scandinavian knives! Beautiful work, both on handle and scabbard. It also has quite the balance, and has neither to much nor to few decorations. Fantastic.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree, Daniel,

This is engraving on Mammoth, a beautiful design, and very well done, yes, a lovely art knife, yet has the feel of a woodsman's knife.

We do not see much engraving on Mammoth on the forum, and true it is a long tradition.

Congratulations!

Rod

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
I missed your work Daniel. Very fine and imaginative!

Jim

Glad to hear that you liked it herr Kelso, truly :)

I agree, Daniel,

This is engraving on Mammoth, a beautiful design, and very well done, yes, a lovely art knife, yet has the feel of a woodsman's knife.

We do not see much engraving on Mammoth on the forum, and true it is a long tradition.

Congratulations!

Rod

Thank you very much Rod, I'm happy that you agree ;-), even on knives such as these I want them to have an aspect of function about them, I put the art first but still, it is not a knife that can't be used, it'll stand up to normal use and would serve well for alot of things.

//DQ

Latest posts

Sponsors