Argentium Silver Bracelet Finally Bent

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Finally got this bracelet bent.
I started by shaping the dome by placing it between heavy leather and 2 slabs cut from PVC pipe in my vise.
Then, bending by hand on a jig made by bolting another piece of the PVC pipe (with a gap between) to a smooth board. I lost the dome, but got close to the final shape without a hammer.
I finished the fine tuning with a wood carvers mallet over a chunk of the PVC - with the silver covered with a layer of blue painters tape.
Next time, I be using an orange soft mallet, painter's tape, and polished trailer hitch ball so it will be dome too.
Thanks for all you impute - I would have made a mess of the bracelet without it! - especially labeling the two sides of the bracelet!
Gordon Alcorn

Attachments

• Bent Bracelet2.jpg
    Bent Bracelet2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Bent Bracelet3.jpg
    Bent Bracelet3.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Bent Bracelet1.jpg
    Bent Bracelet1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 159

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm a serious fan of makin useful tools from junk. but if you're doing many, the grs metal former does a great job forming bracelets. the bottom, soft part, will usually deform a bit. this is easy to remedy-- just heat the bottom part and the metal will level out again.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
What is the "perfectly round bender syndrome"?

It's just my preference. I prefer bracelets bent by a soft mallet and a keen eye. It may be the operator but bender bent bracelets seem to be very even in the cross section and the cusp. I do notice the difference when folks post their work.

I like Gordon's bracelet. He did a great job.

John

Latest posts

Sponsors