Are my expectations unrealistic?

beginnerEngraver

Hello,

I am a complete beginner. Never have ever picked up a tool. There is no presence of engravers in my country (India) so cannot find an instructor to try tools/learn. My only goal is to make watch/straps like the image as attached.

Am I foolish to think that this is not difficult? I am a jeweller by profession and realize that these things cannot be casted. I have excellent artistic skills. But is it foolish to think that this is easy with an excellent graver? How long would such a timepiece take to create?

Thank you for any feedback.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Simple answer....yes...it is foolish to think that this is easy. Countless hours of practice are needed to achieve a skillset to engrave timepieces like this.
If it was easy or simple, anyone could do it. There are many who try and fail misreably in this artform. It is both art and a true craft. And a craftman doesn't become a master in said craft without putting in the hours.
Now, you might have a talent for engraving...a natural feel for it, but even then it doesn't come easy.

Marc

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Some may find the learning curve a bit faster than others …. But 2 1/2 years ago I was pretty happy with this 1AB6BCE2-D3D7-4420-AECD-ED744DFEC5D3.png 6 months later “Hand pushing” was really happy with this 2306ECF7-C256-401D-BF64-51DCFE21DF79.png
So if all goes well I’d be pretty confident to carve on a Rolex in say ….. 15 maybe 20 years. Not to be discouraging anything is possible but manage your expectations. Good luck to you and have a wonderful day.

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
IMHO, the vast majority of people that pick up a graver NEVER reach that level of skill. It is like a person that has watched a basketball game thinks they can be in the MBA. Impossible? No. But highly, highly unlikely.

monk

Staff member
your artistic skills notwithstanding, even with the greatest effort and determination, achieving this level of skill is like a roll of the dice. the time needed to get to this level is long. we all want to be this good. few of us actually get this good. i never discourage the desire to become great at a given craft. i do try to point out the reality of such. good luck to you.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
I spent my first two years with hammer & chisel and hand push tools practicing before I engraved a gun I have a background in art witch helped see if you can fine an engraver for help in your area. J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Watch case and bracelet material are normally 316L, or in the case of Rolex, 904L. Both are very hard and very difficult to engrave, and nothing a beginner should be attempting. Learn on mild steel first and move to harder materials when you gain more experience.

Sponsors