Apple's superstar designer works-over a Beretta shotgun

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't care for much of it. Maybe the weldless barrels are cool. The laser engraving...bleh.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Seems like a lot of hype to me, laser yuck. If I am not mistaken weld less barrels have been made for what 100 years

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Seems like a lot of hype to me, laser yuck. If I am not mistaken weld less barrels have been made for what 100 years

Yeah, I'm trying to keep an open mind here, but I think it's hype as well. Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist when it comes to shotgun design. Maybe it would grow on me, but I just don't care for it.

Andrew Biggs

So now we have the I-Gun..........so how many apps can you download into it? and does it monitor your breathing??? :)

The proof is always when you raise it to your shoulder and pull the trigger. That tells you everything you need to know.

I think the hype outweighs the reality. Seamless wood to metal has been happening for a few hundred years that I'm aware of.

As for the engraving...well....lets just say he designs better phones than guns. No style or grace and ruins everything..............But.......it does show the advances in laser technology and how it is becoming a lot better.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a very pricey doorstop, if you ask me. but hell, what the heck do i know ! ?

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I do like to shoot an English style straight stock with the sliver forearm. I bet it swings really nice! Depending on the length of pull and so forth. I'd need a bit of cast off in the stock as I'm a bit "full of face" as they say. :)

I'm not so sure if I like the opening lever as I'm a traditionalist. I suppose it's all what you get used to. I don't like the lasered crap on it at all. :eek:

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
It would sell, and they could sell all they make. It's unique because of the name of the designer. With a limited edition, the value could even climb higher. 99% of the public has no clue about hand engraving and most do not care.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"he's able to add an element of warmth and craftsmanship to what are normally cold steel parts."

i'd argue he did exactly the opposite. removed the "warmth and craftsmanship" and replaced with a cold, sterile machined look.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the barrel lumps. With the angle of the wood to metal fit it is not a side lock but neither is it a box lock. As for the laser work. To each his own. It is not a custom gun but an off the rack lower end piece and should be treated as suck. The opening lever has about as much class as my missing front tooth. Fred

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Roger
Could you explain further, I was under the impression the tubes were press fit and soldered. Thanks Dave

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here we go again trying to cut out the real craftsmanship in favor of profit if it ever gets off the ground. I am in favor of new technologies as long as they don't replace the hands on human element. Many gun makers today use new technology to improve fit and parts manufacturing that really do make a difference in the end result without compromising true craftsmanship---------- Yea I would wait to see if they tweek the design in the next phase.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As with all things, those who like it will buy it, those who don't, won't. There are sure to be enough buyers to make it pay, but there will always be those who will hold out for work done in more traditional ways, so lets not be too critical of it, as you are going to see it more and more, not less and less. IMHO

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
The demand for craftsmanship will never go away, you can't replace the human touch. In this case though i can see potential for an artist perhaps getting paid for their design or rather someone paying for a particular artists design to be put on a gun. In the end the finished products are not the same and each caters to a different customer base with hand engraving increasing in and being of greater value over time, sometimes priceless.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd like to shoulder this gun once, just to get a feel for it. I don't think the "engraving" design is that bad. If a Phil Coggans cut it in the traditional manner, I think he could make it a stunner. I must agree that the release lever is appalling!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's not that there's anything wrong with the release lever, it's just that the rest of the gun was made so nice that leaving it blank like that makes it look wrong.

I agree that it looks like a lovely design, and in pictures it's going to look very close to some of the better work we see here.

But we all know how much better actual engraving looks in reality, where the life in the cuts comes through to the eye.

I'd like to see an addendum from this author after he gets to see one of Phil Coggan's guns (or something of a similar level) in person.