Apple Blossom Border Cut

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
The Gentleman who provided a sample to me some 20+ years ago called this an apple blossom cut, even though it hardly resembles an apple blossom. He was not an engraver, and I don't recall the name of the engraver that provided him with the sample. The sample was cut maybe .004" deep whereas this border here is cut at about .012" deep.

CM Bronc 1.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's cool...I like those kinds of borders. I'd also like to see a tutorial on how you :hammer::handpiece: it :)

MStewart

Absolutely beautiful buckle Greg, darn near makes me want to crack out my old bronc saddle! Was this for a rodeo or a custom order?

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice looking buckle. I also like that border. It looks like an X is cut then you go in with a flat. Can't seem to be able to see how the edge was done. Maybe you could elaborate on the technique.

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Mark~ Thank you. It was a custom job. I was pretty much given carte blanch to design whatever I wanted and this is what happened.

Mike~ You are absolutely correct. Edge is a #3 knife wriggle with a single point run along side of it. I wriggle the dividing points. Single point the X. Then run a 45 flat to facet. Each triangle requires two cuts with the 45. The two cuts meet at the dividing line of each triangle. Ends up being very brilliant in the sparkle attribute.

Sponsors