Anyone have experience engraving gold filled sheet?

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Everyone!

I was just curious if anyone has experience / photos of projects made or engraved with gold filled sheet? Double or single clad.

I always see this stuff and think it would be neat but am hesitant because I dont know how thick the gold layer is. I dont care about engraving through it but wouldnt want to buff or eat through it with a brushed finish application.

Thanks!
Andy :beerchug:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Brian. Usually, the gold filled stuff is pretty much in micron thickness making it nearly impossible to do any meaningful engraving without cutting through it. Even the stuff marked "H.G.E." (heavy gold electroplate) isn't much better, and the deal would be pretty much the same.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
About all you can do with it is very fine line engraving, my former employer used it for lettering on trophy buckles unless the customer put out for gold. We cut the edges slightly and outlined the letters with a fine line. After some time I would see these buckles worn and the lettering pretty much lost its luster and in my opinion we should have used silver or gold for it, but price was such a factor that I just did what I got paid to do.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm actually hoping that the lines would darken but it may not turn out as I invision. Most things don't . I dont intend to do flared lettering but rather just single point and then maybe hit it with some bluing and sand off the surface so the lines remain black.

I'll probably put off the purchase as its not necessary but just for fun.

Dan M... Now that stuff looks cool! I bet its a little pricey but really cool that they sell it in discs. I may have to give them a call.

Latest posts

Sponsors