Anybody with a vigor vise

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi.
I don't know if we've got a big variance in types of vigor vises.
But I imagine this is answerable by somebody.
I was moving my shop and my vise got picked up by the jaws and it fell apart and we heard something roll away. Look as we might, we could not find it.
So now the vigor does not rotate as well (more resistance).
Question: can anybody tell me what size bearing I need to drop in there?
Thanks in advance.
Gwaai.

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
I just cleaned and greased mine last week and thought I would get a new bearing while I had it apart, but could not find a match.

The only numbers on the bearing in mine are NICE 601. I hope this helps.

Brant

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'm sorry, i have assumed that it is a single ball bearing that sat down in the bottom...
if i am off in that assumption, then i will have to get a little deeper into it... if it is just a ball bearing i am looking for- perhaps you could just get me the diameter of the ball bearing.
i have a friend who likes to pull apart helicopters.. if i know what size to tell him to look for, it may just surface..

i actually just thought io found it... wrong house.. wrong town. lol.. but it wasn't. too good to be true, made the vise ride high.. but spun like a dream

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can always measure the ID of the lower vise ball recess and the OD of the shaft and thickness the bearing needs to be and just go to a bearing supplier and get one or order it from MSC or another such company. My vigor didn't have a bearing like that, it had a cone bushing and a screw that came up from the bottom which allowed you to adjust the ride height.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ya. I think I got it. In fact I think that a may not be missing the bearing after all
I thought it was a single ball sitting in a cup at the base of the shaft. But the 'cup', I think, is the centre of the bearing. I'm no where near my vigor right now, or for a while yet, but I'll have to trouble shoot what else is giving me resistance if the bearing is in place still.
Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Sponsors