Anybody experienced with Pen Plating?

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a customer interested in pen plating. I either need to learn how to do it well or farm it out.

Is there anyone out there that knows how?

Main questions relate to durability (going on pistols), masking (for selective plating), account of labor involved and materials cost (how much area can you really get out of a oz of solution)?

Or if there is an FFL gunsmith out there that can handle a volume of this technique, what is their contact information?

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd find find a good jeweler to work with locally. It's not hard to do but you would need some equipment. It's also not the most durable stuff. For a show piece, no problem. For a carry gun not so much. Give me a ring or shoot me an email if I can answer more questions.
Layne
Oh, and since it is used for small areas, an ounce lasts forever. Check Riogrande.com for a small plating unit. They are not vey expensive.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
pen plating--- a first grade kid could do it. it can be done ( likely ) with items already in your junk drawer. as for durability-- such does not belong on a gun. the caswell co sells the chemicals, including gold solution. they also sell dc power supplies. a common wall wart of the correct dc output will do the very same job as a 2 or 3 hundred dollar plating machine.
i learned how to do this to plate certain areas on hobo nickels. i think i may have done the hobos with an ordinary 9 volt battery. i'll share what i know if you like---- 724-470-7214 after 9pm est

Sponsors