Another portable bench idea

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As I've mentioned, my day job now is working at a Cabela's (the one in Kansas City). That means I spend a lot of time there (almost as much as some of the gun counter regulars ;)) and get to spend a lot of time staring at some of the things they have for sale.

So I've been looking at this one portable shooting bench off and on for over a year thinking that it just might work for a portable engraving bench.

Well, now there's a new, larger version and with my employee discount and all...

So, if you're looking for a portable bench you can use at shows or events, check this out.

Cabela's calls it the Timber Ridge Shooting Bench XL, the box says 'Magnum'. In any case it's a larger version of the one I've been thinking about and the larger size is what pushed me over the edge.

The box is bigger than I thought it would be - the one drawback to this unit is that it's about 5 feet long in it's folded state. Carries really well, especially in the included bag but it's definitely awkward and can be hard to get into a vehicle.

That's a standard yard stick (36" long) for reference. Open the box and slide out the unit in its travel case.

Take off the case (instructions and the shooting rest are in the front pocket) and you see the unit in it's folded for travel mode.

Unscrew a locking knob on one side and just lift it into the working position. Note: to get the seat raised you have to bring the table to its highest position.

There are organizer pockets hanging off of both sides you can put 'stuff' in while using it. I didn't put the shooting rest in for this use, but I do think you could rig a microscope boom to at least use the hole to lock it down.

The full up height is 36" and it was fine for me using an Optivisor. I think a lower position would work when using a scope but since I only have one scope I don't want to take off of my bench we'll have to wait for someone else to test that out.

Since I was just testing if it would work for engraving or if it wouldn't be sturdy enough I just moved over my standard ball vise and my Lindsay in it's portable (CO2 powered) mode.

As you can see, I just set the CO2 tank in one of the storage pockets. Since this was just a quick test I used a small headlamp for my light (I've got one where you can tilt the light out and down and it has a diffuser so it's great for 'travel' engraving, even worn over the Optivisor.

Takes less than a minute to open or close the bench, and even if I don't use it for engraving I can always use it for shooting.

Just another option for folks who want a portable workspace without going through a lot of bother.

Note: For some reason I can't get the full-size images to go in. If a moderator can fix this, please do so. In the meantime I'll go put them on my website so I can link to them there.
Click here to see it on my site with the full size pictures.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hmmm, not seeing the pics... ok, looked at your link and it appears pretty slick. didn't notice any wheels, but that would be a simple add-on for extra mobility. dang handy if a prairie dog pops up in range, too...

Last edited:

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Not seeing pics. Link takes me to cabelas web site for shooting bench. Is there another link. :eek: ups found it. :confused:

Last edited:

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Steve I like the bench. I do allot of demos and I have allot of tables to setup but this setup would be great for a small venue like at one of my Jewelry store customers. thanks for showing. Oh by the way I notice that you are from Kansas City. My family is from that area in fact I was born in St Joseph.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch it's easy enough. Here's an example using <> instead of the proper square brackets <url=http://www.someurl>words</url> - that will give you your 'words' as the visible link but actually going to the link inside the code. Because what you see isn't always what you get you should always 'hover' over any link in an email before you click it - some of those ones that aren't from PayPal go to... interesting places.

Bill Technically I'm from South Dakota, then Arizona, then back to South Dakota for a while but I've lived here in KC for over half my life now. Still think of it as the land of bland chili though. ;)

The ease of set up and sturdiness of this bench is why I thought it would be great for shows and demos. You'll probably want a table for display, but those tend to make poor work spaces. That 5' length when folded is the only real downside and that's just a matter of making sure you allow for it when planning your trip. For some people the 38lbs might be an issue but if you're used to moving around 30lb+ ball vises without a shoulder strap you should have no problems with this. Even on my first try the setup was only around 1 minute - most of that was figuring out that you have to raise it all the way up to deploy the seat.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks, i'll have to try that the next time i have a humongous address link i want to send somebody and would rather it just said 'click here'.