Another draw trying

Caty Blom

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,
Yet once again made ​​an attempt to create a design for a bracelet. Tried to keep it simple, but am looking forward to your comments! The total size is 200mm x 20mm.
Greetings Caty.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Caty,

That is a big improvement. It is a workable design. It is worth cutting it to learn the difference between that way a design is drawn and cut.

Cheers,
Roger

Andrew Biggs

Hi Caty

That's a big improvement. You have well formed scrolls and a nice flow to the design.

Never underestimate the power of simple design :)

What are you going to do with the background??? nothing?? relieve and stipple??

Keep at it. You are making good progress and starting to think along the right lines.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a quite pleasing design. nice flow& symmetry. would be beautiful with a textured and darkened background in silver.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice scrollwork Caty, this will become a very beautiful bracelet when cut.
One thing that has my doubt, the length of 200 mm seems a bit long to me because these types of bracelets do have an open space to insert the wrist.

Caty Blom

Elite Cafe Member
Wow Thank you for all the comments, I'm going to try to make it easy to engrave and perhaps indeed some stippeling or black background. As regards its length, a bracelet does not always have to close against each other, but can, with a small stroke also fall next to each other. But if you want an opening, he must indeed shorter Willem. And honestly I have been more focused on completing a model just to practice and came out later, that now it is very narrow and fails maybe a little long. But the drawing was actually the most important, and because I have yet to practice with engraving, I do it right in copper.

Caty Blom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi

As requested, I finally engraved the bracelet . This is where I learned a lot, first, that I should remember to draw how big and wide I want my object so that later I can go to the correct ratio scales. I must remember that I not use too much details in a large drawing application which you later when it comes shrink can no longer apply. I also have the bracelet flat on a smaal board and made ​​it into the engraving vise, so that I could run it anyway. My question is, if you want the bracelet to go around then I have to heat it first, otherwise it is too hard and you get kinks in the band. After heating the tire you should be clean, how do you do that, because you can not polish. I have edited with etching ink to make him black.
I have noticed that I often slips with the tool, have again cut and polished the tools , which helped somewhat, but this is a matter of practice or are there some clues to prevent this? greetings Caty.
I show you the picture before finshing the bracelet, now I know that I have finshed the bracelt form before I go engraving, so this was either a lesson to for me.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
caty " since this is a single bend. i don't think there should be a problem forming it without having to heat it. if you do use heat, i think www.gesswein.com has a paste you can brush on before heating. the paste prevents oxidation and discoloring. btw-- this looks very nice. someone will be happy to get that one. you are right-- practice makes "perfect" !

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wack it hard and as few times as you can get away with. But as many times as it takes to get those kinks out

monk

Staff member
there's a way to make partial or full forming blocks of hard oak. they work well for forming copper and silver. a lot less hammering required. i made them about 10% undersized.after forming they usually came out to just the right size. i lined the forming surfaces with soft leather or the soft material cut from an old purse. this keeps scratching to a minimum. i currently use the grs
"metal former" for such items. the advantage of this former-- it creates a double curve in the bracelet-- making the item much stronger. mine came with two male dies.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Caty, when you come to my place you can try the GRS bracelet former, I have this tool so bring a blank or a bracelet so you can try.
See you in spring....;)

Caty Blom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
Thank you all for the compliments and the advices ,Monk so as you can read, Willem has the Grs former, so I will visit him this summer and give it a try. Arnaud I did make some new pictures with the ledlamp and the results are pretty good.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
caty : once you do one bracelet on the former, i bet you'll buy one. it does make for a superior result.

Sponsors