Critique Request Another brass magnifier

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Here is another one of the brass magnifiers and before I go any futher yes the design is a modified version of Shawns ( didyoung ) hummingbird cantle plate his design just floated my boat so I spun it 180deg and changed some elements but before I posted I emailed shawn with a photo and asked first if it would be ok to post being the gentleman he is gave me the :thumbsup: to do so,
And again thanks shawn. it not to his standard but here it is for your comments.
Ray

[/IMG]

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice!!! How big is it and where do you get the magnifiers.
I save all of Shawn's pics for inspiration, so I can see why you liked the one that inspired your piece.
Also, just for the record, If I ever get good enough that someone would want to use any of my designs, you have a green light.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
QUOTE=didyoung;108626]man i really like that design!!!!!
nice work and thanks for showing.[/QUOTE]

THANKS Shawn I liked it so much I did a revamped knockoff I really like the designs of the chap that did the original so much I used it then sent a photo and asked if it was ok to post and the MAN FROM MONTANA SAYS YES :thumbsup: I hope that one day I will design as well as he does and maybe he will copy one of mine HA! HA! :justkidding:
Regards
Ray

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
I ask because I dont know. Im a hacking my way through engraving.
The cross hatching on the larger leaves, It looks out of place to my eye. As I cant think of a leaf that would have that. I understand its shading . Would an angled line be out of place or not get the same effect ? Would a heavery center line for the main vien and angled ones be wrong ? Even if they wernt placed at a correct angle and still give you curve and depth to the leaf ?
Also I ask why dots on a flower leaf?
I have no training or theory in engraving, so I dont know whats right,wrong or artistic license .

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Dale this is far from being correct it's just what come out as I went along maybe SAM or one of the experts may darw all over it and point out the errors that would then answer your questions and will put me right as well as when I look at it I see mistakes but thats what I was hoping for someone to point them out.
Ray

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
don't do the actual engraving, experiment on paper. make several oversized prints. work each one differently. back off a bit, and see what pleases you most. drawing must become the basis of all that you will eventually work on. don't be misled by the very easy-to-do transfer techniques. there are many things one would engrave upon, that the transfer method just isn't practical-- or even possible.