another beginner

smason

Howdy,

I have just started engraving a couple weeks ago. here is a pair of earrings I recently made for practice. Please feel free to give any constructive criticism you may have, I have thick skin, you won't insult me.

My real job is a custom saddle maker. also attached are a couple photos of my saddle work.

Thanks for all the info on this site, it seems to be a real valuable resource.
Steve Mason IMG_4009.jpg [/ATTACH]

Attachments

• DSCF0167.jpg
    DSCF0167.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_3975.jpg
    IMG_3975.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 280

Dirtdigger

Hi!
I really like both of them, leatherwork and earrings!
I have allways admired those carved saddles and i´ve done some leathercarving for motorcycles my self, but nothing as nice as your saddle.
Those earrings are really nice and simple looking design and as a newbie myself i can only admire your engraving work!

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great stuff, good design. Your very experienced and not a beginner. The only thing that has changed is your canvas from leather to metal. Looking forward to seeing more of your extraordinary work!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i like the earrings. esp the fact that they are both different. your cutting looks clean to me, and works well with the flowers. i'd say just keep at it, and have fun and earn some money doing it. if i owned a horse, i know the critter would love the saddle. just curious-- start to finish-- how many hours to complete such a gem ?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your leatherwork background shows in the engraving - and it looks nice! We see similar things when tattooists take up engraving - a very interestingly different style.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve, bring some sterling down and punch out a bunch of concho blanks sometime. Then you will have a supply to engrave for your saddles. Just think, no more waiting for the silver to start making the saddles now that you will be making your own silver.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve, As others have given you many compliments I will add mine. I will also add a critique: back cut-when the engraver enters the metal it does so at an angle leaving the beginning of the line tapered. In some places this is the desired effect like shading lines. In the out line the line should be bold and of full thickness from the beginning. The outside of your peddles need backcut so they go under the other peddle at full thickness.

I have a machinists toolbox full of leather tools. I made a supplemental income at leather tooling back in the erly seventies. Never reached your skill level but would recommend back cutting your border to close the small gaps on the border of the fenders as well. Very nice leatherwork. Better than anything I produced. Your design is outstanding and certainly worthy of recognition. Close those gaps in the border and watch for other areas where back cutting is require. An admire of your work Fred

smason

thanks everyone, I will keep you posted as I progress with the engraving.
Steve

Sponsors