Announcement: Announcement

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus, I think you translated and understood what I wrote in Dutch. I wrote it in Dutch and also used my limited English vocabulary to explain the same. But as I wanted Bram to understand, I had to use my native language.
Roger doesn’t seem to understand the meaning after he translated the Dutch, probably after reading your interpretation he does now.
Still the meaning of it seems it isn’t totally clear.
By the "sacred cows", I refer to all those who don’t have an open mind for those other point of views that don’t match with theirs. I’m not pointing at someone in particular believe me,
So “heilige huisjes” (sacred cows) are those “no doubt about it opinions” some people may have.

To give an example, The US way of scroll design is different than some European or Belgium engravers do, for instance about the amount of shading.
Now if you have a majority of people that are familiar at US scroll designs, it will be difficult for them to like something different. Especially if they stick to their “heilige huisjes”
And I understand why some people stick by their “heilige huisjes”, as it may frighten them when chaos may appear.
I must say that most of the active members here do have an open mind. However some don’t think at all and just go with the stream. They do not like changes as it will destabilise their life.

In my opinion, it is permitted to doubt about the fundamentals and structure, as it is the only way to give birth to new ideas.
Like you say, Bram’s design are sort of collage of ornaments that already where drawn before, only the way Bram did put them together makes it unique. That counts for most of the designs or any other art form. There are only a few from time to time who really come up with something new. Isn’t it because they had the courage to doubt about the fundamentals?
Yes I agree, one first has to learn those fundamentals / basics.

I remember when I had Bram’s age, it was during the 70 ties, and we discussed many sacred cows. It scared a lot of “older people” seeing their “values” where discussed.
This is something from all times and we used to have a name for it; “Generation Gap” Seems it disappeared just like the “acid rain”. Still Bram now has that age.

Roger, about native language, and using English by those who have another native language, sure that can cause conflicts especially when the words are written down.
However in my opinion, misinterpretation of what is written also occurs between people who speak the same native language. Some people just can’t read what is meant, they just read the words and they think they understand.
So I think it is wrong pointing at those who use another language then their native language if misinterpretation comes in, as we all can ask to clear it out. This also happens when two people are talking in the same native language.

arnaud

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Yo Bram, people say similar things about me. I simply tell them.. "I'm the nicest fellow I know. Just ask me and I'll tell you." ;~)

Dopn't stray too far, we may need your inspiration.

tim wolf

Elite Cafe Member
Our friend bram here seems to be an expert in Extremely popular posts!!
if not on his beautifull work it's his big mouth (haha:)
well bram, i envie you about that!!
greetz,
Tim wolf.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Our King, King Albert II, just announced something similar as Bram's.
He quit.
Maybe it is something in the Belgium water. :biggrin:

arnaud

katia

Hello,

I just would like to correct Marcus about a statement he made in this thread as I am a big fan of Bouguereau,( as well as Bram, who we all can agree, is incredibly passionate about engraving), so yes, Bouguereau, the painter who was an inspiration to Bram's scene. ( as stated by Bram in his thread about his school exam)
This statement is not true :
"Likewise, the angel; I thought I'd seen it somewhere before.
http://spanish.alibaba.com/product-g...479406442.html
You have done what artists have done for centuries and that is been influenced by something else and used it to a certain extent. You've tried to look at the angel from a slightly different angle (thats why the foot doesnt look quite right) and turned his head and adjusted the arms but essentially there is no denying this is the same angel but you've used a different woman and turned her around to make the picture your own. You've not copied but have been influenced and that happens throughout art and engraving."

The scene that Bram drew is not a modification of "The Rapture Of Psyche", which is the painting that you mention. It is actually the original scene called Love and Psyche by William Bouguereau.
As I said, I am a huge fan of Bouguereau and I felt the urge to make the correction.
http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/william-adolphe-bouguereau/love-and-psyche-1899

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Katia, I stand corrected. The point I was trying to make and that you've also concurred, is that artists often take someone else's material and work it into something of their own. Even Bouguereau uses the same angel posed slightly differently in different paintings. I picked up on the angel that I'd seen from somewhere else and not the original painting that Bram copied from. My apologies for the confusion, sorry.

This copying business is far from unique though. Another classic case in point of artists influencing one another is Caravaggio's 'Entombment', a decade later Rubens 'copied' it. No, Rubens' picture isn't an exact copy but he's used the scene and altered it but you can see a direct correlation between the two if you look at them.
http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/caravaggio/entombment
http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/search/rubens entombment/1#supersized-search-216645

I'd just like to reiterate what I said, in my opinion there is nothing wrong with doing this or being influenced by something or somebody else. Bram has done a great job of his drawing project and can be justly proud of his designs.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The arts are full of works by artists who were inspired by the earlier works of another artist. It has been done quite openly in classical music. Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini by Sergei Rachmaninoff is but one example.

Latest posts

Sponsors