Announcement: Angelo Galeazzi

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have been informed by my friend and fellow engraver, Joseph (who is presently in Italy) of the passing of Angelo Galeazzi about six weeks ago.

Born in 1931 in Castegnato, Italy, Maestro Galaezzi was a leading light among contemporary Italian gun engravers and was one of the pioneers of what is commonly called the bulino technique of fine and highly detailed scenes and figures. Along with game scenes, Angelo was one of the earliest gun artists to engrave Diana and other neoclassical motifs on guns. To me, when I read or hear the term "bulino engraving," the name Galeazzi immediately comes to mind. That's because images of his work in books by the late Mario Abbiatico, in the 1970's, were the first I had ever seen or heard of bulino engraving.

My condolences to all who were close to Angelo.

Requiescat in pace, Angelo Galeazzi.

Renato Gamba Mustang-Angelo Galiezzi eng-R.jpg Renato Gamba Mustang-Angelo Galiezzi eng-sig.jpg Renato Gamba Mustang-Angelo Galiezzi eng-L.jpg Angelo Galeazzi-Gardone V.T.Italy.jpg Renato Gamba Mustang-Angelo Galiezzi eng-B.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank You Roger. He was an exceptional artist and a pioneer of both style and of sharing his skill through instruction.
Condolences to the Friends and family. Fred

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Sad to hear of his passing. I spoke with him about 4 or five years ago at the EXA Fair. He was there with his brother who also is an engraver. He was a modern thinker and was impressed to see the microscopes and all the tools. He had a gravermiester he said he bought thirty years before. How much he used it and what for I don't know. But he did like all the modern tools. He gave me a dvd of his work. Something I cherish.

He was the Father of the modern day bulino as you stated Roger. He used the line technique. Manyof the ideas of scenes and the way he used the landscapes are still being used today. He was one of my favorite engravers and still an ispiration .

Chris

Last edited:

Eugene Carkoski

Elite Cafe Member
I dug out mario's book when I heard the news, it amazes me how they were able to capture light with a chisel and hammer.
Gene C

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another sad day for the engraving world. And sadly more proof that that wonderful generation of engravers, who were the innovators of today's engraving, are not getting any younger. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
always sad when a sister or brother of the bench departs this life. really nice how he had the 3 animals sort of intertwined. thanks roger, for this update.

Latest posts

Sponsors