An oldie, but finally finished.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I posted this a few years ago when the engraving/inlay work was done but the gun was "In the White".
I spent some time practicing rust bluing techniques before I got around to applying the actual finish to this piece.
This was my first application from the techniques I learned from Ron Smith at the first Grand Masters Class---Multi-Color inlay.
(Ron gave me pretty good advice on the finishing, too)

Attachments

• 100_1316 (2).jpg
    100_1316 (2).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_1327 (2).jpg
    100_1327 (2).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 207

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Brian, that turned out super sweeeeeet.

Bluing can drastically alter the appearance of selective inlay as you lose shades of gray that are integral to the design. Kinda like turning the lights out and only seeing the parts that glow in the dark. Your design flow is very clear and the placement of color even more balanced against the contrasted blued background.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,
Looks real nice! Did you have any issues with the rust blue and the inlays? I know sometimes they can get darkened.
Just wondered.
Rex

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Chris and Rex!
...and Rex,the rust does get imbedded in the 24K gold and tends to darken it a little.
I think I kept the dulling to a minimum by carding with 0000 steel wool and a BOUNTY paper towel instead of a carding wheel.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stunning Brian. I remember seeing it when you first posted it, and the bluing REALLY made it pop!

Pleasure seeing it.

Latest posts

Sponsors