an experiment...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For many years now I've been mulling over how to create a better 3D effect using traditional line shading, instead of my insanely time-consuming dot bulino work. This Tim Herman Persian got a hybrid treatment of line engraving in the stainless, with bulino shadows in the gold. As you can see, the shadows in the gold were done after everything else was finished and filled with black paint. While it's inconvenient to do it this way, it maximizes the illusion by allowing for more realistic brown (not black) shadows in/on the gold.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 317
  • Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 316

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
chris decamills has an excellent on-line video on making cut lines brighter down to darker. worth a watch if you've not seen it. btw what you have there aint shabby at all !

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I held this one in my hand today at the knife makers guild show in Louisville and louped it, and it looks great! Congratulations. . .

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Although I love your normal stuff for it's delicacy, I really like how bold this is. I think you have really hit on something. Very exciting stuff.
Layne

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I held this one in my hand today at the knife makers guild show in Louisville and louped it, and it looks great! Congratulations. . .

thanks, Barry, and everyone else who commented favorably! i'd completely spaced out that the Knifemakers Guild show was this week- it was purely serendipitous that this piece was finished in time...

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch, I just realized what makes this so stunning. When looking at it, you don't see the drop shadows. You only see the leaves hovering there naturally. We are not trained to look at shadows. They are just there and are part of what creates depth.
To achieve this in metal and still have it look so natural that you don't notice the shadow is a testament to your skill.
Well done.
Layne

Latest posts

Sponsors